Adventure of the Seas- 2/06-just returned any ??'s ask away

Hi,

We just returned from our first cruise, which was on RCI, Adventure of the Seas, (2/12/06). We embarked in San Juan and visited Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

It was great, would do it again next week.

Any questions, ask away, I will try to answer as fast and best as I can. Because I know I had quite a few when we went.

I posted review on this website but it is not there, yet:confused: .

M:cool:

Hi there! We are leaving for the same cruise on March 5th out of San Juan! From what I have been reading I think I made the right choice! We are from the Northeast as well and we are heading down on Saturday staying at the Marriott Courtyard -the night before the cruise to make sure that we GET there! I have tons of questions! I don't know where to begin.

I originally had a room 7334 (I think) and then I saw the price went down and I got reimbursed $440 but they could not guarentee the same room. I have since then been assigned a new balcony room and I am nervous about it as it is deck 7 but the VERY first one in the front left of the ship. I was hoping to have something more midship but that is not going to happen!

I am also worried about the day that we end the cruise. We don't have a flight until after 5pm and we have to be off the ship by 830am. Not sure if I want to do an excursion of San Juan or someone suggested that I ask the Marriott if we can pay alittle and use their facility for the day.

Do you know ?

ugh, I have so many questions.

Thanks

Carol

Hi Nick,

I am going to jump into "mccasey" post as he jumped into the thread.

My boss stayed at the Caribe Hilton for a conference last January, he used to call us from the pool and stay "I am sitting here by the pool under the umbrella with a drink and a book in my hand, looking out at the reef in the distance, how beautiful it is here", (we told him to go back to the conference room where he belonged) I have not heard anything bad about the Caribe and I know it is very pricey to stay there, I am sure you will enjoy it. We saw the Caribe when we were going over the bridge to get to the pier, it did look beautiful.

M :cool:

Hi Carol,

I am so jealous, I want to go back. We went to dinner at the Marriott Courtyard (very pricey). Why did you want to switch rooms, you have 7334 I believe and now you are in the very front of the ship? I dont think I would have switched.

As far as getting off the ship (which you dont want to think about now anyways) you get off in groups according to your flights. So we were out of our cabins by about 7:30AM and we went to the main dining room for breakfast (with our carryons) by the time we were done eating our number was called, were were number 4 i think. I think the last ones off the ship are about 10:30AM. I would go for a shore exclusion because they bring your luggage to the airport for you. Unless you are flying AA then I would pay the $10pp and get the luggage direct to airport deal they offer. You will love the balcony.

Ask away

M

Jorge,

I dont remember about the TV's, I just asked my husband and he doesnt remember either. I would think there would be plugs in the back if not in the front but I can not remember. I am sure you will know to pull the tray out that the TV is sitting on to turn it and get to the back. I only mention this because there was a post from someone who complained that you could not watch the TV while lyiing in bed. When I got to the ship I laughed because she never bothered to pull the TV tray out to turn it. Are you bringing your own DVD player, never mind I dont want to know.... Also, the only room service menu that we used was for breakfast they are behind your door, I know they say you can get whatever you want from room service.

Also, if you want a pitcher of ice water to drink or ice cubes if you run out those come from room service.

DO NOT DRINK THE WATER FROM THE FACETS IN THE BATHROOM...

M

Hi Carol,

I am so jealous, I want to go back. We went to dinner at the Marriott Courtyard (very pricey). Why did you want to switch rooms, you have 7334 I believe and now you are in the very front of the ship? I dont think I would have switched.

As far as getting off the ship (which you dont want to think about now anyways) you get off in groups according to your flights. So we were out of our cabins by about 7:30AM and we went to the main dining room for breakfast (with our carryons) by the time we were done eating our number was called, were were number 4 i think. I think the last ones off the ship are about 10:30AM. I would go for a shore exclusion because they bring your luggage to the airport for you. Unless you are flying AA then I would pay the $10pp and get the luggage direct to airport deal they offer. You will love the balcony.

Ask away

M

I made the change becuz I was saving almost $500 from what I originally paid. Therefore, I was not guaranteed the same room. I know, I took a chance, but in the long run, I am going to be OK about this becuz it enabled me to do the swim with the dolphins excursion in Curacoa which is $209/pp.

Hmmm, I am flying AA and I don't know anything about what you just said about the $10fee to bring luggage. Interesting, I will have to look into it.

I am doing the late seating for dinner. What did you do? And by the way, you said you went for your 25th anniversary, congratualtions!

You are from Rhode Island? we are practically neighbors!

Carol

Thanks for sharing

Hmmm, I am flying AA and I don't know anything about what you just said about the $10fee to bring luggage. Interesting, I will have to look into it.

Carol - RCCL offers a valet service, you pay $10 and the night before you arrive back in San Juan they bring you your boarding passes and airline luggage tags along with your debarkation tags. You pick up your luggage as usual and take them through customs and immediately on the other side is an agent who will take them for you and deliver them to the airport. Once you arrive at the airport you bypass check-in and go directly to the gate. It's only available for flights on AA, leaving 11am-11pm and traveling with the final destination in the U.S. We're considering it for our 4/30 cruise.

- RCCL offers a valet service, you pay $10 and the night before you arrive back in San Juan they bring you your boarding passes and airline luggage tags along with your debarkation tags.

Thanks for the info Sharon! Are you taking the same cruise out of San Juan in April! I can't wait, only a week for me!

Carol

Carol,

Thanks for the congrads. Yes, we are from R.I., or like we told everyone else, "About 45mins from Boston, MA there is another state called Rhode Island" lol,

American airlines apparently have this deal with the ship, you pay $10PP (i think it was) and your luggage is tagged with special tags, that they give you and after you go through customs you do not see your bags again until you arrive in Boston. You can go to guest relations and ask them for the form and it just asks how many checked bags and flight name, number, and such. They charge the $10pp to your sea pass. It would have been would it for me who had 3 bags to check in.

My cousin Ellen did the dolphin thing and said she would do it again in a minute, she talked and talked about it.

We also had late seating, if ,sorry WHEN I go again I will go with first seating, I think we had plenty of time to shower and be ready for first seating . As it is alot of the shows that they have you go to while the first seating people are eating so you have to be ready by like 630/700 for a show.

M

ATTENTION FIRSTCRUISER06

My husband and I are "ambassadors" for Adventure of the Seas -- we have been on the ship 6 times and #7 is booked. We not only know the waiter you had' date=' John Lobo, but we are Godparents to his daughter. We know many on the ship and stay in touch with them by phone and e-mail. We love the ship and the crew and am very glad to hear you had the best cruise for your first one. When Johnny calls this week, I will tell him about your post of him and I am sure he will be happy to hear it![/quote']

Molly,

John also told us about you. He even showed us pictures of his beautiful daughter. Tell him it was the group of 3 tables of 6 that was there celebrating our 25th anniversary. We had 2nd seating for the cruise. and sat by the windows. I also give him 2 bottles of coffee syrup, I think the head waiter was upset because I didnt give him any, to bad. He didnt know as alot of people dont what coffee syrup is. I told him I would get the word out about him. I also spoke with the dining room manager and wrote a very good review on our departing forms. I have pictures of him, if he would like copies of them, let me know and I will email them to him or you. Everyone in our group was very pleased with him.

Thanks,

Mary

I too am going on AOS 3/12.

What cabin did you have?

Any recommendations of what not to miss?

This will be my first cruise and I am getting so excited! Tell me anything! :)

YOU TOO ON 3/12. WONDERFUL. WE ARE IN CABIN, 8678-BALCONY. SEE YOU THERE. HAVE FUN!

A.

:confused:

Any questions, ask away, I will try to answer as fast and best as I can. Because I know I had quite a few when we went.

Can you tell me about bringing wine on the ship? Do they not like that? What if I brought the wine in the box. Just to have some in the room for my balcony room? Also, I understand that there are no irons in the room. Ugh, I hate wringled clothes! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol

Ps. If it is easier, you can always e-mail me QueenbugC@aol.com

firstcruiser06 Mary,

I spoke to Johnny today and he remembers you and your group. He was happy to hear your comments and surprised he was on this website. He has used one coffee syrup. He is going home soon -- in 3 weeks -- and looking forward to that. His daughter will be 2 in April so he will be home for her birthday.

Holly

AKA cruisin' molly is my nickname from a cruisemate who got mixed up with my name and the first initial of my husband's name. It stuck!

Hi Carol,

yes there are no irons on board. You can send your stuff to the laundry for just ironing (1/2 the price of having your stuff cleaned) or probably bring your own. We only found one available plug on the vanity but I dont know where you would iron unless you had a very long cord??

As far as the wine goes you are not suppose to bring any liquor on board. We brought wine in San Juan,(boxes of wine not available). We wrapped the wine bottles in bubblewrap (which the bubblewrap came in handy for gifts and glasses on the way home) and put them in the middle of our suitcases and even brought a 12pk of beer in a carryon. We figured it was worth it to try because the drinks are expensive. All went thru security no problem, our bags were delivered to our rooms. All they would do is take it away and you would get it back at the end of the cruise.

There is also a duty free liquor shop right in the terminal after you go thru security and check in, just put what you buy in a back pack or your carry on but there was not a large selection of wine. I am sure if you do not put it in something to hide it they may take it away from you. That is what happens on the islands.You could also buy water, juices and some kinds soda in the duty free shop. We actually missed the duty free shop on the way in and got back off the ship (down the gangway) with our backpack, seapass and went into it and bought more stuff on board. Saved alot of money on drinks. You can not (or are not suppose to) bring any open containers into the dining room. If you bring a bottle of wine they charge you a $12.00 uncorking fee to open it. If you order a glass of wine or a beer, the dining room bartender will probably remember and when you sit down the next night, your drink will be there. Also, if you get the drink of the day they sell them in the "hurricane glass" and I think they were 5 or 6.95 and you keep the glass. We ended up having to bring home 4 of those glasses in our carry on, beware if you dont want the glass make sure you tell them because they will charge you anyway. They charged us for 2 one time and my husband's drink came in a regular glass. I had to go back to the bar, show the glass and show my receipt, I got the glass but I didnt really want another one. Dont forget your corkscrew.

M

P.S. I have relatives in Teaticket

firstcruiser06 Mary' date='

I spoke to Johnny today and he remembers you and your group. He was happy to hear your comments and surprised he was on this website. He has used one coffee syrup. He is going home soon -- in 3 weeks -- and looking forward to that. His daughter will be 2 in April so he will be home for her birthday.

Holly

AKA cruisin' molly is my nickname from a cruisemate who got mixed up with my name and the first initial of my husband's name. It stuck![/quote']

Hi Holly,

Nice to meet you. I guess John did not believe me when i told him I would put him on the web and let everyone know about him. We wish him all the best. He really made our trip memorable. Thanks for telling him Hello from us.

Thanks, Mary

Glad to hear you warmed up the ship for us and had a great time. This trip is our "sea-quel" on AOS, right down to the same cabin. Can't wait.

QueenbugC - greeting from your neighbor across the sound. Join us on the M&M board to meet other AOS cruisers for March 5th.

I too am going on AOS 3/12.

What cabin did you have?

Any recommendations of what not to miss?

This will be my first cruise and I am getting so excited! Tell me anything! :)

We will be on AOS 3-12 too, it will be our second time on this ship. It is our favorite ship out of seven cruises :cool: :)

We will be on the AOS on this same itinerary on May 7 ~ anyone else? Be careful in St. Thomas ~ the rather expensive souvenir we bought on a previous cruise was a timeshare in a beautiful cove. (First cruise and first timeshare and now we're hooked on both!!)

Can someone tell me if the Promenade Cafe is free. If not, what are the charges?

Thanks in advance,

Barbara

Can you tell me about bringing wine on the ship? Do they not like that? What if I brought the wine in the box. Just to have some in the room for my balcony room? Also, I understand that there are no irons in the room. Ugh, I hate wrinkled clothes! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol

Ps. If it is easier, you can always e-mail me QueenbugC@aol.com

Glad to hear you warmed up the ship for us and had a great time. This trip is our "sea-quel" on AOS, right down to the same cabin. Can't wait.

QueenbugC - greeting from your neighbor across the sound. Join us on the M&M board to meet other AOS cruisers for March 5th.

Hey there! Yeah, I live in Yarmouth! Are you leaving from Boston? We are leaving on the 4th and staying at the Marriott Courtyard! I can not wait! packing today! Yippie! E-mail me sometime. QueenbugC@aol.com

Carol

Also, I understand that there are no irons in the room. Ugh, I hate wrinkled clothes! Any suggestions?

Carol - I too am a wrinke hater. You can send your things to the ship's laundy, press only is 1/2 price. I do this every cruise and have never had anything turn up missing or damaged in any way. That being said the things I don't trust to the laundry, formal wear etc., get steamed in the bathroom. I also pack the hanging clothes in dry cleaning bags, this really helps reduce the initial wrinkles.

Archived