Anyone been diving on Saba?

vilula belle

Hey all,

Been lurking about. We will be on Carribean Princess to St. Thomas & St. Maarten in April. Want to dive but it doesn't sound all that wonderful, what with SM's choppy water and ST's "not much to see". Read about a tiny isle about 28mi off SM that has some great diving. Any of you seasoned veterans heard of/ been to Saba? I don't know if this is even an option as I haven't checked local ops that go, nor do I know if there's even time enough to go, while in port.

I'm starting to feel a little leery about booking dives through the ship. Last year, we went on a shark dive in Roatan and it was bloody fantastic (no pun intended;) ) while on NCL. DH worries about not getting back to ship on time if we book outside op. I've read and read and read and learned a lot from all you guys! Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I used to live in Sint Maarten and dove at least once a month, I don't remember the water ever being choppy unless there was a hurricane coming. The dive shop at Pelican was a good company if they're still around-in the Simpson Bay area. Diving on Saba can be better, more walls, etc, one called the Pinnacle if I remember right. You might be cutting it close to get back to the pier if you try to get to Saba- you might be able to find a SXM dive company to go over, or there are day ferries- plan on 45 min to an hour to get there from SXM. Remember island time isn't like American time, they won't rush to get you back to the ship.

I dove Saba one day (2 tanks) last year while on the Seadream. As akb5k mentioned, the Pinnacle is a really good dive. As Saba is a volcanic island it was kind of interesting to stick your hand in the sandy bottom and feel the heat. I dove with Saba Deep while there and we had a group of 4 with the DM "Big Mike" - a real character. 2 of the divers in our group took the ferry from St. Maarten for the day and they said it took about 45 minutes. As much as I enjoyed Saba and plan on returning for a full week I really don't think it's a great idea to try and make it on your own. You will be at the mercy of the ferry schedule. The guys we dove with were staying on St. Maarten and didn't have a ship to catch. You'd be better off making arrangements with one of the local St. Maarten dive shops. As I recall there are quite a few within walking distance of the docks.

Saba is NOT to be missed for diving. Mike Myers has owned and operated Saba Deep for many years and is among the best of the best. Pinnacle, Labryinth Ladder, The Cathedral, all are wonderful bouyed sites. Pinnacle diving is a totally different animal from anything you'll do elsewhere! (I have been an instructor and have hundreds of dives...those done on Saba with Mike over the years are counted among the tops!)...if there's any chance you can make it, GO!!!

Archived