Older ships and plumbing - lower decks?

Reading all the posts about plumbing problems on older ships, I was wondering if we're choosing an older ship, should we stick with the higher decks to reduce the possibility of plumbing problems? When we were on the Sovereign last summer, we were on a fairly high deck, and had no problems, but when I was down on Deck 2 I smelled what others have described as a sewage smell (and, while it may not have actually been sewage, it was definitely and UNPLEASANT odor, and I was glad that I was not on that deck).

So, if we are going to choose the Monarch or Sovereign for a quick get-away, are we going to be "safer" with a higher deck, or are the plumbing problems luck-of-the-draw, depending on who had your cabin on the last cruise?

I would pick the higher deck to avoid the odors. The odor problem isn't just the older ships though. I have smelled the same odor on very new ships; Navigator, Carnival Miracle. I personally think it has to do with lack of air in the lower areas of the ships. Most people wouldn't know about it unless they wander beyond their cabin zone. I've walked every hallway of every ship I have ever been on and I have smelled the smells on almost every ship.

All we cruise (3 so far and are already booked for Jan 2007:) ) is smaller ships, deck 3 center of ship because of cost and motion. We have had no odor problems. Occasionally you might have a small order in a hall but it has never entered the room. Bring an air freshener along if you have some concerns.

Archived