help with hotels

nancyv58

We are flying into Honolulu on 7/19 late and want to get something close to the airport for that night but then we don't depart on our cruise until 7/24 so where should we stay? Is there something not as commercialized as Waikiki? Thanks for the info. We will also be staying one night at either a Westin or Sheraton which of the 5 is the best? Thanks for all your help.

Not sure I quite understand what you are planning. It sounds like you want to go to different hotels each night??

Most of the hotels on Oahu are in the Waikiki area, however there are 3 resorts. Ko olina on the western side of Oahu, the Kahala Mandarin a few miles east of Waikiki and Turtle Bay on the North Shore. Really the airport is only 10 miles from Waikiki, so it isn't necessary to spend a night there. I would certainly recommend spending all nights at one hotel, checking in and out every day would be a pain. There are also a group of hotels toward Diamond Head that are away from the crowds of Waikiki.

We are flying into Honolulu on 7/19 late and want to get something close to the airport for that night but then we don't depart on our cruise until 7/24 so where should we stay? Is there something not as commercialized as Waikiki? Thanks for the info. We will also be staying one night at either a Westin or Sheraton which of the 5 is the best? Thanks for all your help.

I'd agree with Dan - just go direct to your hotel of choice and stay there for the duration. Oahu isn't all that big - easy to do the circle island in a day, and the airport hotels aren't all that great. If you REALLY want to stay at the airport on your in-bound, I guess I'd say the Best Western at the airport but it isn't all that great. Ask for a non-smoking room (unless, of course, you smoke!) and a king bed and you might get upgraded to a suite - happened to us on our last New Zealand trip with a really late return. Also, make sure you tell whatever hotel you pick that you will have a late arrival and your flight arrival time so they don't give away your room. Happened to some friends of ours coming in late to a Waikiki hotel.

In re: which Westin or Sheraton - I'd recommend checking the reviews on Trip Advisor to get an idea of what people think. I love a little funky "down home" hotel just off the Ala Wai Canal, about two blocks from Waikiki Beach called the Ilima, and that's where we stay in Honolulu, but if I was going for upscale, I'd suggest the Halekulani for Waikiki or the Kahala Mandarin if you want to be a bit out of the main tourist zone. Turtle Bay is great, but you're out at North Shore, which is fine if you want to do that area and/or the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Double ditto from me. Pick one place, arrange for late check in if necessary, and just stay at the one place. And NOT something near the airport; actually, there's nothing near the airport where I can imagine staying and enjoying for that many days.

What's best? "Best" is an entirely relative term. We don't know what your preferences are so it's impossible to give you good feedback there. Also, it sounds like you're staying in Waikiki at least one night (based on your "best of the five" question). Where did you want to stay the rest of the time? If you don't want Waikiki at all (based on your question about what's not "commercialized"), you could go right away to someplace like the Kohala on the Gold (south) coast. However, it's not cheap, so that may not be an option or preference. If you want out of Waikiki entirely, why not look at Kailua (across the island), west Oahu, or the north shore? Lastly, how late is "late"? Midnight? Dinner time? Have you checked into arranging for late check in at whichever place you choose? IMO, it's such a hassle to stay one night here, one night there, and be constantly moving--not a good relaxing way to ease into Hawaii or a Hawaii cruise.

Bottom line is that I recommend choosing one place in one location and going there right from your first night, even if you do get in late. It's better to make a long day longer and just get settled, IMO.

Please give us more information on your preferences, flight times, and what you are looking for in a resort/hotel.

beachchick

I referred to hotels toward Diamond Head. We've often walked past them on our way to the Elks. New Otani, Colony Surf and Diamond Head Beach are some of them. Never stayed there but they are pretty much away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki and if you feel the urge, Waikiki is only a short walk away.

Archived