Yacht Club Tipping

MAMA "B"

10 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

I also disagree because that what you write is official MSC policy and it is not true that waiters, room stewards and butlers not get their share of the DSC.

BUT! 

If MSC not adopts this to the US market then they will get no other staff anymore except waiters, room stewards and butlers. Because with this exorbitant tips @mmbcater and other posted they earn 100 times more than the others on board. Just for the privilege to be directly confronted with the guests. On non-US based cruises with very little tipping this was a different thing. 

Too each their own-we followed another guide as well and that works for us. I AM NOT DEBATING my vacation gratuities-we paid the Daily Service Charges as well...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mmbcater said:

Too each their own-we followed another guide as well and that works for us. I AM NOT DEBATING my vacation gratuities-we paid the Daily Service Charges as well...

Agreed.  We tip.  I was only clarifying an MSC statement.  Personal practices were not addressed.

• 8 months later...
On 4/13/2022 at 5:54 AM, miataman19 said:

Here is my ballpark for a 7 day sailing. Again, as stated in earlier posts, it depends on how much you utilize the services of each individual. I'll bring an extra $200 - $300 for these tips.

Butler - $40

Assistant Butler - $20

Sommelier - $50 -$75 (I utilize him alot..lol)

Maitre d' - $25 (If he does something special for you)

Concierge - $25 (If you utilize he or she. If you don't utilize them, no tip)

Server, DR +Top Sail (if you get the same one's throughout the cruise) $20 each

DR Hostess - $20 (you see her everyday)

Favorite Bartender in Top Sail - $20

Top Sail Musician - $20

I know I'm forgetting someone.

Also thank you for posting!  We've not done YC before and I was looking for a ballpark idea so we can be prepared. 

I was unsure about a lot of things, so I went in search of information and found this university study on tipping. The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges, imposed gratuities, and imposed tips which have nothing in common with voluntary tipping. 
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Tipping in advance was traditionally the way most people used to tip, to insure promptness and most service providers actually respond best to this form of tipping. Especially useful when one is competing for the attention of over-worked short staffed service providers.

I did tip in advance last year on a cruise only to discover that the maitre d' was switched a day after i had tipped him. Then we went through 3 different butlers that were taken out of service due to covid and one steward.

On our most recent cruise I met with the maitre d' to express my desires and then asked him if he was going to be our maitre d' for the entire cruise. He assured me he was and to 'express' my 'appreciation' that everything would be as I requested, I tipped him. Just at the moment of his hand and mine clasping an officer approached and witnessed the act. I asked the officer if he had anything to do with the dedicated restaurant and he said he was the manager of all the restaurants. I proceeded to go into my pocket again for another tip 'in kind' when the officer stopped me and said for him it is not necessary. The maitre d' chimed in and said "whenever you feel the urge to tip my boss to give it to me. I will make sure he gets it."