A really dumb CAT question? But pls explain!

momrek06

DH & I just sailed our first ever cruise with DCL. We had the time of our lives:p . We re-booked while on the Wonder, a 7 day Magic cruise....anyway, my question:confused: is for all you seasoned cruisers..would someone pls explain to this complete cruising novice the explanation around CATEGORIES.

I stayed on Deck 7 but I was a Cat 5. Everytime I looked at my "docs" I thought I was on Deck 5. I am reading so many posts about people requesting different categories and I do not understand that a Cat 12 might be Deck 1....why don't they just use the word DECK all the time. Why do SHIPS use categories and decks....see what I am saying...I am all caught up in the SHIPS lingo....ugh...:confused:

DH & I just sailed our first ever cruise with DCL. We had the time of our lives:p . We re-booked while on the Wonder, a 7 day Magic cruise....anyway, my question:confused: is for all you seasoned cruisers..would someone pls explain to this complete cruising novice the explanation around CATEGORIES.

I stayed on Deck 7 but I was a Cat 5. Everytime I looked at my "docs" I thought I was on Deck 5. I am reading so many posts about people requesting different categories and I do not understand that a Cat 12 might be Deck 1....why don't they just use the word DECK all the time. Why do SHIPS use categories and decks....see what I am saying...I am all caught up in the SHIPS lingo....ugh...:confused:

I am not a seasoned cruiser...and I am new to this discussion board (I usually talk solely on the DIS boards since they are solely Disney)...took my first cruise on the Magic in December 2005 and am currently booked for Nov 2006 - but I had the same questions when I first started too. The CAT is the type of room it is and they are spread out throughout the ships on the different decks. Cat 12 is the basic inside room....the lower the number...the more "fancy" a stateroom is and the more expensive. Of course, along with that...when you start getting into the Cat 7s (with balconies) and etc. they will be higher up on the ship.

We did a Cat 9 down on Deck 2 in Dec (outside deluxe stateroom) and are doing two adjoining Cat 8s up on Deck 6 in November....a better view. You know...until now...I never even thought about the fact that I never even went down and looked at Deck 1....I'll have to do that this fall.

Since you're cruising Disney, if you would like additional info on getting in contact with other Disney people....please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Kris

I actually find Disney easier to follow than naming the decks. The names rarely help me figure out where on the ship my cabin is located. That being said Disney was the first line I sailed and that may be why it makes more sense to me that other cruise lines and their methods of classification.

To simplify - if you are talking cabin - the lower the Catagory number the larger the cabin and the more $$$. It does not always mean a higher deck as the inside cabins (Cat. 10, 11 and 12) can be on more than one deck, but the lower the Cat number. the higher up on the ship (an inverse relationship).

The decks are counted from the waterline and up. The lower the deck number the cloer you are to the water line. Deck 3 and 4 have no cabins as they are mostly the public areas.

Hope this helps.

If you have any other questions, ask away.

Other cruise lines use the alphabet for categories, which is less confusing.........well at least until you get to BA,BC, BD.....and L, LL...:)

Other cruise lines use the alphabet for categories, which is less confusing.........well at least until you get to BA,BC, BD.....and L, LL...:)

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. I am totally confused over that method.

I have a CC on the Panorama Deck on my next cruise. Had no idea what that meant when they first told me and I believed them that I would be pleased once I got there. Ok, so I did look it up and yes I should be happy but it told me nothing initially and I thought I had done my research before making the reservation.

Cat 5, deluxe statroom, with veranda, located on deck 7...............Cat 6, deluxe stateroom, with veranda, located on deck 6, one deck below.........Cat 7, deluxe stateroom, with a Navigators veranda. A Navigators veranda has a restricted view. They can be found on decks 6,7, and 8. If you look close at an exterior pic of either ship, look towards the front or rear cabins on each deck. The Navigators, are the oval cutouts, you see in the ship. Cost is cat 7, Navigator, less! Cat 6, slightly more. Cat 5, slightly more than 6. Cat 5, gaurentees, deck 7, higher up. Room/cabin size for Cat 5, 6, and 7, the same. Veranda for cat 5, and 6, same size. Cat 7, slightly smaller veranda, restricted view, and only available on front and rear side of the ships. The front and rear type cabins, cat 7, usually feel more up and down motion in any type of greater than 6-8' seas. READ it, picture it! Hope it helps. It was confusing at first trying to figure it out. Our choice of rooms is 6580, directly over the stabilizer, and in exact middle of either ship.:) Less motion, cabin 7580, would be directly above. Metrowon

Cat 5, gaurentees deck seven, delux stateroom with veranda. Cat 6, gaurentees deck six, delux stateroom with veranda. Read my follow up. Cat 5 is slightly more exspensive than cat 6, only because your higher up. Metrowon

Archived