Help!! $1722.50 Internet Charge..........

Globetrotter

I am new to the RcL boards so if this has been suggested then I am sorry for redundant info. When were these charges incurred and where? Prove you were somewhere else. Say when you were on tour, show the pictures, etc. you can't be in two places at oncel I know from previous posts that the ship has not provided any documentation, keep calling and as others have suggested do it in writing. I had a similar problem with AX years ago when I wrote a check for 117$ and they credited my account for $1117, I did it all in writing and not only did they credit the account but they paid for the charges for the the bounced checks that I wrote using the 1000 they took. Keep on protesting until you get a satifactory answer

Just keep on with the credit card company. My first and only dispute ever included the entire purchase price of a RCCL cruise for three people. We cruised it ( we had no choice) and disputed it once we got into our first port. Well it was with Citibank Visa. Actually I called them to complain and they told me about "disputing a claim". Call me young and immature (26 or just turned 27 at that time), we did. And several months later my cruise was credited back to me.... It took some work and some letters that the credit card company wanted me to write in regards to the issue........

Keep calling,...

keep writing....

keep documenting......

Just keep on with the credit card company. My first and only dispute ever included the entire purchase price of a RCCL cruise for three people. We cruised it ( we had no choice) and disputed it once we got into our first port. Well it was with Citibank Visa. Actually I called them to complain and they told me about "disputing a claim". Call me young and immature (26 or just turned 27 at that time), we did. And several months later my cruise was credited back to me.... It took some work and some letters that the credit card company wanted me to write in regards to the issue........

Keep calling,...

keep writing....

keep documenting......

BUT.... I will still cruise RCCL.

I am not sure how RCCl does it, but on Carnival when you use the internet you get a reciept printed out right away with your time used. Also I was told by the Carnival guy that they check the computers once someone leaves to make sure they logged out correctly.

This looks like it is a very good way to do things. Who needs the hassle of disputing charges, especially AFTER they get off the ship.

It's a good practice to review your charges while on board and to keep your receipts until your credit card bill comes and all charges can be verified.

Good luck to the OP - although it sounds like she's done everything right and still ended up having a problem. So sorry.

I did not read all these responses (too long) but did want to share a story that happened on Splendour to one of our dinner table mates.

He got his account charges the night before disembarking and was furious. We had all had problems with the internet connections all week long from the ship, not being able to connect, or connecting, then being bumped off. He apparently had over 400.00 in internet charges and had not spent more then 10 to 15 minutes online over the 5 days. He went to the pursers desk, who were not helpful at all, just insisting that it was correct. He spent the rest of the cruise arguing with pursers desks staff about it, and it was still not totally resolved before disembarking. He was furious and it definetly ruined a perfectly good cruise for him. Not sure what ever became of it though. But, it sounded as if the internet charges continued to accrue even after disconnecting, and showed that he was online for for something like 24 hours straight.

Good luck with this, real bummer.

Nothing to the extents mentioned in this thread, but on the Sapphire Princess, the internet was really slow. Someone complained to the clerk on duty in the cafe about how long they were hanging there waiting to connect to their email, and that clerk went and credited a half hour of usage to their accounts.

Hello fellow cruisers!

I have wonderful news :-)

When I returned from Asia there was a voice mail waiting for me from RCCL. A person from Corporate Guest Relations informed me that the CEO had received my letter sent via Certified mail. After looking into the matter they issued me a full credit of $1722.50. As in every other contact with Royal Caribbean she was very helpful and pleasant.

What had happened? It seems that on one occasion, one of the girls had logged on to the internet, and somehow the system showed her as connected for 57 hours... In any case, it turned to be an honest glitch, and I am very happy with how this was finally resolved.

I also want to thank the ones that suggested that sending written correspondence via Certified Mail would be an effective way to communicate. That turned out to help matters greatly.

Sincerely,

Globetrotter11

(still a Royal Caribbean fan:D )

Hello fellow cruisers!

I have wonderful news :-)

When I returned from Asia there was a voice mail waiting for me from RCCL. A person from Corporate Guest Relations informed me that the CEO had received my letter sent via Certified mail. After looking into the matter they issued me a full credit of $1722.50. As in every other contact with Royal Caribbean she was very helpful and pleasant.

What had happened? It seems that on one occasion, one of the girls had logged on to the internet, and somehow the system showed her as connected for 57 hours... In any case, it turned to be an honest glitch, and I am very happy with how this was finally resolved.

I also want to thank the ones that suggested that sending written correspondence via Certified Mail would be an effective way to communicate. That turned out to help matters greatly.

Sincerely,

Globetrotter11

(still a Royal Caribbean fan:D )

Excellent news !!! Even though this took quite a while, I think it shows again what a great company Royal Carribean is :D

So-it turns out the "innocent Teens" were on the internet after all....Glad it worked out.

This thread is a long one, but I would like to clarify that from the very beginning I have made clear that the girls briefly used the internet in the library (with my knowledge and blessing) on a couple of occasions as reflected on our final bill. There may have been a third time, that somehow started this chain of events. The girls have always been upfront and honest about this. From what I heard from RCCL it sounds like an electronic glitch.

Anyhow, I am glad it worked out also.

Excellent news !!! Even though this took quite a while, I think it shows again what a great company Royal Carribean is

I agree with you 100%!

I am off to Asia again in the morning, so I apologize that I'll be slow to respond to questions or comments. I am going to stay away from public computers for a while:rolleyes:

I'll catch up when I return this next weekend.

Sincerely,

Globetrotter11

Globetroter 11...I am so pleased that this error in billing has been corrected.I can imagine how stressful and frustrating it must have been. It really does highlight an important issue...take great care when logging on and off. I had occasion to use the computers quite a lot onboard ship this past summer.. in order to keep in touch with my daughters. We were away for 2 weeks...the first time without the kids. I am fairly basic in my knowledge of the computer..and took a little time to work out how the ones onboard were set up. I nearly walked away one evening, thinking that I had shut it down....only to have my husband notice I was still connected. As it was my error..it might well have been a hefty bill that I was forced to pay. thanks for giving us the warning..Good luck with your business in Asia. Carol

I am so pleased that it worked out well for you! This was their error, they admitted it and fixed it. It would have been better if they had fixed it without you having to go through hoops but it was worth it.

Glad that it worked out. I was on Voyager in Feb. and almost every time I used the computers in the library, I got a message to the effect that "there has been a period of inactivity....would you like to log out now?" RCCL should just change the software to provide for an automatic logout after x minutes of inactivity. Not hard to do. :rolleyes:

Too bad there wasn't a way where the computers would automatically disconnect you after a certain period of inactivity.

Such as can cause major headaches for support personnel chiefly due to the wide variety of computer skill (or lack of!) that end users possess. So it's up to the end user to log off and that's that.

Cheers,

Norman

I've had two disputed charges with Amex and both times when the merchant failed to respond with the required documentation on the charges American Express charged the disputed amount back to the merchant. In other words Amex took back the payment they had made to the merchant. The Amex rep told me that many merchants think if they ignore the inquiry that Amex will force the cardholder to pay the disputed charge. The rep said that's not the way it works. If the merchant really is in the right on the dispute, nothing inspires a reaction from them like having the payment rescinded. Also, as long as a charge is in dispute it does not show up as a past due amount.

Hello everybody,

I will just reiterate that it required going to the front desk to make arrangements for password and billing. This was NOT done, and if it was, it would seem like it would be easy to substantiate for the cruise line.

Globetrotter11

I have used the wireless, (WiFi) on serveral cruises and never have I had to make arrangements with the front desk. All I needed was my seapass card. So parents beware of teens with laptops.

Glad you got the problem fixed Globetrotter11.

I have used the wireless, (WiFi) on serveral cruises and never have I had to make arrangements with the front desk. All I needed was my seapass card. So parents beware of teens with laptops.

Glad you got the problem fixed Globetrotter11.

Agree.

Bottom line is that when you're travelling with teens who use the internet, regardless of how "good" they are, the internet packages offerred on board may be much less costly than just paying the "per minute" rate.

Glad RCI was so accommodating...

Archived