Cleanliness on board

Breathless4

Okay I am not a clean freak, but have experienced those hotel rooms where you pull back the bed covers and a cockroach crawls out.

Do the rooms smell stale? Are the sheets and pillows clean? Especially the pillows, hate sleeping on pillows that are stained yellow...! And what about the food areas?

I know you probably all think by now I am a clean freak, but it will affect my holiday if it isnt at least hygenic.

I have read some people take Glen 20 and Febreeze and one poster said he is taking dettol... whats the go?

Thanks to all who answer...

Breathless:D

Okay I am not a clean freak, but have experienced those hotel rooms where you pull back the bed covers and a cockroach crawls out.

Do the rooms smell stale? Are the sheets and pillows clean? Especially the pillows, hate sleeping on pillows that are stained yellow...! And what about the food areas?

I know you probably all think by now I am a clean freak, but it will affect my holiday if it isnt at least hygenic.

I have read some people take Glen 20 and Febreeze and one poster said he is taking dettol... whats the go?

Thanks to all who answer...

Breathless:D

Breathless I've always found that cleanliness on board is top class. Have never found any stale smells in the room, have never seen yellow pillows and the food areas to be spotless. Hygene is their no.1 priority in the kitchen.

People from what I can gather, take Febreeze to get rid of the stale smoke smell in their clothes which I think is a great idea, especially if you're not a smoker. I'm taking some this trip and as we're not smokers but we socialize with smokers I'll use it to get rid of the smell. I'd imagine it also sends a pleasant smell around the room (which would also get rid of that smoke smell:( )

Even out on the deck, staff are always around taking dirty plates, wiping down tables. They are always cleaning somewhere. It really is excellent service.

I've only been on the Sky and other cruise ship in 1976 (which had the same cleanliness routine) so can't speak for the others but I would imagine they are exactly the same.:p (dettol! I'm not too sure why??)

Kerri

I found the crew on Pacific Sun to very hygenic.

There is always someone cleaning - the hand rails, the glass stair wells, the pool really late at night and hand cream before getting your meals.

Kazza

The spa is nominally adults only on Sun but they don't police it very well.

Whilst the ship is very clean, we always take a small can of Glen 20 with us. You never know if the person you disembarked the morning of your departure had novovirus so we spray the entire bathroom as soon as we get to our cabin. The Glen 20 is also handy for keeping the smells down in what is always a fairly enclosed environment if you know what I mean!!!.

I found the Sun to be quite clean in February this year. If you are a bit worried about hygiene, especially in the food buffet area, then maybe go for the breakfast and lunch sittings in the dinning rooms. That way at least you know the food has only been touched by the preparation staff and no-one else. There are alcohol/detergent dispensers at the start of the buffet lines (many people don't see them and pass them by, but they are like the soap dispensers in the toilets) pop your hand under it and it scooshes out alcohol soap to rub on your hands and sterilise them.

The public bathrooms aren't as clean, so you can always choose to go down to your cabin to the bathroom. The stewards are always cleaning your room. In one day we were in and out a number of times, and every time we came back, we found the place neatened up again - I reckon our steward had been in there 6 times in the one day!

Sometimes the tiolet vacuum system blocks up a bit - that happened once on our cruise - you can't do anything about it until they fix it so that can be a bit gross. I think it copes quite well though, when you think about the sheer volume of unmentionables it has to dispense with!

Archived