Dog Sledding excursion on Norris or Mendenhall?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I wondered for a long time why there were 2 extremely similar dog sledding by helicopter excursions in Juneau offered by Princess, and I finally realized today that one goes to Mendenhall and one goes to Norris glacier.  Is one of these better than the other?  Why?  I am booked on the Mendenhall but was watching a video by Tips for Travelers and he was talking about Norris.  He didn't specify why he chose Norris though.  At the time of booking I chose Mendenhall simply because it was $50 cheaper and I couldn't figure out why they were different.

I don't have an answer to this but, I was wondering the same thing when researching which to book. I read online they were very similar so we ended up booking Mendenhall as well (via RCL) due to it being slightly cheaper. I believe (not positive) it is a little cheaper because it is a little closer to the port.

After writing this I found some very old forum threads from various places, usually about 10 years old, where people asked the same question.  Many people responded that there was little difference between doing this on Norris or Mendenhall.  They pointed out that glaciers are constantly changing.

Different helicopter companies go to different glaciers.  From my research, Temsco helicopters goes to Mendenhall glacier and Northstar helicopters goes to Norris glacier.  The third company that I know of, Coastal helicopters, goes to Herbert glacier.

• 3 weeks later...

We are cruising Alaska with HAL in August and I came here to ask the same question. Thanks for the answers. 

On the HAL site it looks like the Norris Glacier tour is half an hour longer and $60 Australian more.