NCL's plan for the ss United States?

maestrotim

I've been reading a lot about the ss United States, and NCL's current ownership of it (including its plan to bring it into NCL America by 2010). Does anyone know any more details about this, like if it is still happening? It looks like from the preservationist angle, they want to see it turned into a museum instead.

It's a fascinating part of history, and it would be incredible to see ss United States in service again.

The last we have heard is that NCL is doing a review on the BIg U. I am of the opinion that nothing will be done, and eventually she'll be scrapped. I think NCL purchased her to keep other cruise lines out of Hawaii. Of course, I could be wrong.

LIke the Norway, the S.S. United States isn't a large ship anymore, considering that Royal Caribbean is building 200,000 ton ships. It appears that NCL in its next order needs to purchase a ship larger than Panamax size just to keep up with the Joneses, other cruise lines, and especially so in the Miami market.

It appears that NCL in its next order needs to purchase a ship larger than Panamax size just to keep up with the Joneses, other cruise lines, and especially so in the Miami market.

I could not disagree more...Take a look at the "how big is to big" thread above. Most people believe that some of these ships are getting too large and by association too impersonal. My personal preference is NCL because of the size of the ships and the crew aboard them.

As for the United States it would be truly sad if it were to be scrapped.:(

PE

What NCL has said is that if the Hawaii runs are successful, the first additional US flagged ship will be the SS US to re-refitted. The US is free of asbestos and can be converted relatively easily. So far so good, With the SS Pride of Hawaii as the third ship in the NCL America fleet, we should know within 18 months or so whether these plans will be finalized. Its too bad that NCL's long relationship with LLoyd Werft was so damaged by the Pride Of America...

Archived