Karaoke on the Pearl

dadiva18

Hey, y'all!

My family and I will be sailing out of Boston on the Pearl June 3rd and we cannot wait!

We are a karaoke family, we usually start our evenings singing a round or two while on board.

On our past cruises, on multiple ships, we noticed that the selection of music available was a smidge limited, a smidge dated.

I was wondering if anyone on the Pearl's recent cruises has been to karaoke and if so, what is the selection like? Have you notice a change in the selection?

Just wondering.

32 days! 🙂

• 1 year later...

I sailed on the Pearl last year (2022) and LOVED LOVED LOVED the Karaoke.  It was not crowded and I got to sing several songs each night.  They had two big notebooks full of songs, not everything I wanted but I found plenty.  My tone-deaf husband even sang each time - and he loved it too.

I just finished another Pearl cruise (2023) and for me, Karaoke has been ruined.  The song binders are now replaced with a giant touch screen.  Now I am 67, and I am not good with a smartphone.  The host of the karaoke just kept insisting to me that the touch screen was a lot better because it had more songs.  Some passenger I didn't even know came over to "help" me and asked we what song I wanted to sing and she couldn't spell the song I asked for (which was Minnie the Moocher, by Cab Calloway.) I had no clue how to browse on the bloody thing.  What I really wanted was something that I could browse to find artists that I can sing (The Beatles, Sting, Rod Stewart, 50's-60's-70's hits) but I could not get anything that didn't seem like a  randomly sorted one screen of songs.   It was so EASY for me to find songs to sing when they had the binders!  The NCL guy in the booth just kept redirecting me to the touch screen machine (and why is there only ONE of them in the lounge,  while we're at it?) which I could not get to operate?  (Whatever I typed in the search box produced NOTHING.)

I know I am being a crybaby, but I had so much fun singing last year.  DH and I chose this cruise to decompress after a very difficult experience at home this spring.  I was prepared to sing my heart out at Karaoke.  This year - first night on board I felt like an old dinosaur kicked to the curb.  Thanks a lot, NCL.