On-board temps in Alaska?

Cabb

Can anyone tell me how warm the M class ships are in Alaska? We'll be on the Summit in late May. I'm asking about the inside of the ship. For example, is it worth packing a bathing suit? Should I take a long sleeved wool pantsuit or sleeveless dress and sandals for formal night? Flannel pajamas or a tshirt? Should I be expecting 65 degrees or 75? An overly warm theater?

Any advice appreciated!

Can anyone tell me how warm the M class ships are in Alaska? We'll be on the Summit in late May. I'm asking about the inside of the ship. For example, is it worth packing a bathing suit? Should I take a long sleeved wool pantsuit or sleeveless dress and sandals for formal night? Flannel pajamas or a tshirt? Should I be expecting 65 degrees or 75? An overly warm theater?

Any advice appreciated!

We took the Infinity to Alaska at the end of May also. This being my third time there I learned that you layer your clothing. Always bring a jacket, sweater, turtlenecks, etc. The weather constantly changes there so be prepared. Alot of the time I wore a cardigan sweater while inside of the ship but it always felt very comfortable. You can pack a swim suit just in case the weather is nice. But be prepared that you will 50-60 degree weather too.

Marilyn

We are going the end of July. Do people (women) wear capris? What about brighter/summer colors? Or, should I simply pack my winter stuff? I guess sandals are out of the question?

Yes you can wear capri's but just beware that the weather can change. There have been reports that have been written on CC that they had balmy weather. You just never know so just be prepared for anything.

Marilyn

We were on Summit last July and I found the inside temperatures very comfortable - I wore sleveless dresses and sandals to dinner. A summer, cotton nightgown to bed.

Outdoors, it really varied and layering is the way to go.

Have a great cruise.

Joanie

Yes, inside the ship you will be comfortable in an evening gown with a wrap if you need one. Or if you're wearing a suit, have a blouse underneath so you can remove the jacket if you get warm. It really fluctuates.

Bring the swimsuit because you will probably want to use the whirlpools and Thalossotherapy pool which are indoors in the Aqua Spa area. There is a hair dryer in the ladies dressing room on Summit.

If you are in town, wear whatever is appropriate to your activities. You get a "tomorrow's weather" goodnight card on your bed with your chocolate, and you can check the ship's bow channel which will also tell you the temperature & forecast. Carry a plastic raincoat, though, since you are in a rain forest! And if you go on excursions to glaciers, or flying in seaplanes, any boat trip (kayak or Duck) wear sox, something warmer than tennis shoes, jeans or layered pants like cordoroy over chinos.

It's really cold on the water and can be on the glacier or getting there in a helicopter (duh). But away from the water you can depend on the weather forecast's prediction on high for the day. You will probably want a sweatshirt or winter coat when viewing Hubbard Glacier outdoors, too.

Have you been places where it was warm in the sun, but as soon as you were in the shade you were freezing? It's like that. There are lots of trees in Alaska, and therefore, shade. So be prepared.

Therefore, be sure you use a large enough backpack or the Celebrity bag to carry the extra sweater on a warm day, raincoat, binoculars, camera etc. saving room in the bag for the coat to come off and be put in the bag.

Yes, it's worth the layering and the carrying. Alaska is wonderful.

Archived