Cave tubing/zip line and bug bites....

andynlala

:confused: We are doing the cave tubing and zip line combo with Nacho in 21/2 weeks, and now I am hearing about all the nasty stuff you can pick up there. How common are these bug bites that end up with botflys in them? Does the bug spray w/ deet stay on in the water, or is there a water proof one? The trip sounds like so much fun, but is it worth the risk? Maybe we should stick to snorkeling or something. Also how is Nacho's tour?

We are booked with Nacho for our upcoming day in Belize. I've started worrying about all of the Botfly stuff, too. I have only heard great things about Nacho's tour, so I am still looking forward to it, although I will be wearing some heavy-duty bug spray!;)

Just got back from the travel clinic. I'm not a happy camper. I was advised to take malaria med. I inquired about parasites and tubing. I was told that if the water is moving swiftly there should be no concern about parasites and to reapply a bug spray that contains deet upon exiting from the water

Over the weekend I have been researching the Botfly issue and have decided to not attend the cave tubing excursion! I will be more worried about being bitten by a mosquito with the Botfly egg than enjoying the excursion.

I have also conversed with a family friend that contracted three bites while on a Panama Canal cruise. She was able to pull out the larve from one bite, however she had to see an infectious disease physician to cut open bites two and three! The cruise line recommended the insect repellent, however she did not take the advise!

Panic if you want, or prepare and enjoy.

I'm heading out in less than two weeks and have started with doses of zinc, vitamin C and echinacea to get my immune system into hyperdrive. I don't know what's in Belize (or Costa Maya) that my body isn't ready for, so I'm arming myself the best I can. Heading into the jungle we should already have insect repellent on our shopping lists.

While you're in panic mode, do a google for "poisonwood". Who knows, the ship my hit an iceberg and they'll make a movie about this in 70 years.

Do your research, be an informed traveller, and above all, enjoy your vacation. There is a reason why you read more about the good times and less about getting bit by the spotted triple-winged turkish subterranean pencilfly of South Arabia.

...or is that South Carolina...?

Archived