Cabo snorkeling question

benchmarklearning

We are on the 3/25 Oosterdam cruise and have some questions about snorkeling in Cabo.

There are two snorkeling shore excursions offered by HAL - Snorkel & Sail to Santa Maria Cove or the Chileno Bay Sail & Snorkel. Has anyone had experience with either of these and which is the better?

We are not experienced snorkelers, having just done beach snorkeling in Hawaii. DH is not a good swimmer, in fact, he is a borderline floater.

I prefer Santa Maria over Chileano. Bring everything you want/need, or make sure that the tour your on provides everything. There aren't any services available at either location...well, sometimes there is a man with a cooler selling beer, but that's all.

We are on the 3/25 Oosterdam cruise and have some questions about snorkeling in Cabo.

There are two snorkeling shore excursions offered by HAL - Snorkel & Sail to Santa Maria Cove or the Chileno Bay Sail & Snorkel. Has anyone had experience with either of these and which is the better?

We are not experienced snorkelers, having just done beach snorkeling in Hawaii. DH is not a good swimmer, in fact, he is a borderline floater.

We took the Santa Maria excursion last year in early March (about this time). We went in a catamaran down the coast (actualy up the eastern side of the peninsula) for quite a while, probably over 30 minutes. It was fun -- scenic and fast.

Santa Maria Bay is a pretty spot -- not really developed with a sand beach and rocky points on either side. The boat anchored quite close to shore but the water got deep fast. The snorkeling was not as fantastic as in the Caribbean -- the water a bit cool and not as clear although we did see good numbers of fish. At no time could you stand on the bottom although with life vests floating is easy.

My problem is that I got cold and had to exit the water after about 25-30 minutes. I imagine we had about 45-60 minutes to snorkel. My husband was not bothered by the cooler water -- now I don't mean cold, but definitely cooler than the Caribbean.

On the way back I didn't have a jacket or sweatshirt and got thoroughly cold, teethchattering cold in my wet bathing suit. I know, it was my fault for not coming prepared. The crew offered me a blanket about half way back when they saw my problem. My husband again was fine.

The return trip offered an open bar, including marguirtas (SP?), with blasting rock 'n roll party music (I enjoyed the music). A number of people got completely loaded. I ordinarily do not enjoy being around drunks (I'm a non-drinker), but these people were having so much fun that I could not be offended.

When we approached Cabo, the boat swooped by Los Arcos so we got a good view of the rocks, plus the sealions.

So, my husband pronounced it a great trip :o , but I was less enthusiastic because of getting chilled. :(

Kay and Ted

But we loved snorkeling in Hawaii...as long as I could touch bottom I was ok and miraculously I was able to float. The thought of not being able to touch bottom and "walk to shore" does not make me feel good.

So, what is the scoop on the flotation thing you wear? Will it truly keep me floating?

But we loved snorkeling in Hawaii...as long as I could touch bottom I was ok and miraculously I was able to float. The thought of not being able to touch bottom and "walk to shore" does not make me feel good.

So, what is the scoop on the flotation thing you wear? Will it truly keep me floating?

Yes, the snorkeling vests keep you afloat - that's what they're made to do. A friend of ours who doesn't know how to swim at all had a blast in Hawaii in deep water using a snorkeling vest. You just bob around.

If you're ever weirded out, the boat is only a short distance away.

Archived