Anyone with recent experience with NCL kid's camp?

YogiMia

I'll be a first-time cruiser on NCL Jewel 4/2/06. I have DS (age 8) and DD (age 6) whom I would like to try the kid's club onboard. Has anyone used NCL's in the recent past for kids around this age group and what was your opinion?

Also, I might consider leaving them on ship at the club on port days for a couple of hours, but I understand that NCL considers that "group babysitting" and charges by the hour on in-port days. I don't mind the charge, but I wonder if the kids would have the same experience (i.e., planned activities/fun) as the regular Kids' Camp days?

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Mia

Kid's Club sessions are all pre-planned and structured, similar to SCHOOL...Group Babysitting is more like...well, like Babysitting. We found that alot depended on WHO was assigned to run the GS, HOW MANY KIDS were in the GS, and what the CHILD wanted to do. One day we had our 3 yr old in GS for 2 hours (he didn't want to go off the ship), and all they did was hang out in the Play Center and make giant murals w/paint. There were only 4 kids in there with him. Another time we left him for about 4 hours (he was 4 this time) and this GS had over 12 kids and they visited all over the ship, played board games, had storytimes, etc. And then once, he was the ONLY child, and they did whatever he wanted, which he thought was like being a King. All in all, GS was not as FUN for my boy, but it was definitely better than being lugged around by Mom and Dad in the hot sun and not having anything or anyone to play with...Kid's Club, onthe other hand, was a HIT on every NCL cruise that we've been on (4 so far, next one up on Apr 22), mostly because he just loves other kids and loves to play and stay active.

Does anyone know if the older kids can come and go as they please? Our last cruise with the kids was on HAL and we didn't have to sign them in or out. My boys are 11 & 14. Are the teens pretty free to come and go?

s.

13 & up can sign themselves in and out.:D

My 12 and 10 year old are extremely upset that they cant.:( On our last cruise (rccl explorer) they were able to. It was great!

I hate that I am going to have to go up there each & every time they want to come out. (how will I even know??) Luckily my kids enjoy the club - last cruise, they never wanted to leave - at the very least I'll have to sign them in/out before and after every meal - That sucks! Extremely inconvenient. (And before some of you start bashing me for leaving my kids in the club all day: Remember that it is their choice!)

~Connie

It will be a bit of a pain to sign #2 son in and out. That means I will have to get my butt out of a lounger and put down my drink of the day hehehe.

s.

At least finish your drink first LOL :D

but seriously, I know what you mean! What a pain!

~Connie

We just got back from the Jewel 2/19 and my DD (7yrs) used the Kids Club some, but was disappointed that they had to stay in the kids room. There was one afternoon they got to go out to the sportcourt for a couple of hours, but other than that they were inside. I asked one of the staff, and she said there were too many kids to leave the kids room. We were there on a school break week, so there were about 750 kid total onboard(all ages). Maybe a week with less kids would allow for them to leave the kids room. We only used the regular hours, not any group babysitting.

Hi Connie,

I'm with you. My kids live for Kid Crew (or whatever the kid program happens to be called depending on where we are)! They love the activities, and being with other kids. I often show up at the kid's area to pick them up at 10pm, and they beg and plead to stay for "after hours" they don't like to call it babysitting ;) LOL! They just hate leaving their new friends!

My boys are 7 and 12. We were on Voyager of the Seas last year, and the older one could sign himself out. I just told him he won't be able to do that on NCL. I kind of remembered that from our last Dawn cruise. He flipped!! LOL! Oh well, he'll get over it. He can call me if he wants to leave the program before our prearranged pick up time. ...and I just might bring that drink of the day right along with me!

Hi Mia,

I generally plan family excursions, so they get off the ship with us. I don't really want to leave them behind, but I do trust the program and counselors.

My family was on the Jewel last week and my boys (6 & 9) went to the kids club a number of times. They have a schedule of all activities for the week available at sign up on Sunday. This was great because the boys had an idea of what was going on and whether they wanted to go. On Thursday and Friday nights, the kids went as a group to see the Magician and Cirque Bijou. This was great as it allowed my husband and I the chance to have a grown up dinner.

They did not spend every minute of the day in the club room, but probably more time than is usual given the huge number of kids on board this week.

This was my boys first cruise, and they had a great time doing kids club. My whole family is going on a cruise to Alaska next summer and my boys have already told their cousins how much fun kids club is!:)

Archived