Frustrated trying to find shoes for tween DD in lady's size shoe?

Disneycruisers

Do any of you moms, grandmas, aunts, etc. have this problem?

Took 11 year-old DD shopping this past weekend so we could find 'semi-formal'' or 'dress-up' shoes for upcoming cruise. (We also have a wedding to attend, and Easter, etc, so these shoes will get some good wear.) There's hardly any place which sells any in her size. (7N.)

I've been to Limited Too, and right now (upcoming events are two weeks away) all that's available are sparkly 'flip-flops'. Took her to PayLess, and anything they had looked like 'Mom shoes.' (I actually noticed it before she did.) Plus, there are no narrow sizes.

I finally found some shoes at, (gulp) Nordstrom's. They fit perfect, they're beautiful, and I could probably sell them on ebay when she outgrows them, LOL. (Found them in Jr's shoe department, they weren't cheap.)

What gets me, is, LOTS of girl's her age wear the same size, and some even larger. Other moms I've spoken with have the same problem. When I was 11 years old, I wouldn't have wanted to wear the same kind of shoes my mother wore, and 'kids size' shoes usually stop at 6. I wish shoe manufacturer's would realize this, and extend kid's sizes to 8. (She actually has a 9 year-old friend in an 8N.)

Are any of you tired of the 'mad shoe hunt' too?

Yep, we are going through the same thing. DD is 10 and wears a woman's size 8.

Have found success at DSW, Nordstroms and Kohls. Needless to say, when we go shoe shopping its a chore. It's just so hard to find a shoe for a young girl that is not "slutty" or "grandmotherly" looking.

Good luck,

As I stated before, I am a woman, don't let my name fool you.

I have the opposite problem. I wear a size 5. I can't find dress shoes that don't look like little girls shoes!

It's just so hard to find a shoe for a young girl that is not "slutty" or "grandmotherly" looking

I would love to find "slutty" shoes for me!!! haha

My daughter had this problem when she was younger, as well. She wears a size 8. I have just the opposite problem with my daughter-in-law. She is 23, 4' 9" tall and wears a little girl's size 2 shoe! Everything looks too young for her. She usually just wears flip flops or tennis shoes. We have had some luck with shoes at Foley's, Kohl's or Rack Room Shoes.

You won't find much in the way of narrows or slims in bargain basement type stores. Norstrams or shoe specialty stores is your best bet. Maybe even need to special order. Get used to it. It ain't going to get better. Too many years in the shoe business.

I'm 21 and a size 6 or 6.5. I really wish shoe companies would realize that that is a woman's size and sell more shoe styles in that size. There have been a number of times where I've seen a shoe I love in a size 7 or 8 and they don't have it in mine!

Look for sales and try shoe stores like shoe carnival and dsw. You might get lucky.

We always have luck at DSW. DD is 11 and wears a 8.5 - 9 narrow. They always have a nice variety and a good size heal for her age. I have more trouble with pants. She doesn't have the teen hips to wear jeans that are long enough and the jeans that fit her properly are "clam diggers". I think it's time the fashion industry looks at the real kids out there to see they are tall and lean. She has a rainbow of sweat pants for every occasion. The only time shopping is a breeze is for skirts and capri's.

It is hard to find alternative widths in any size! I have a wide foot, DD has a narrow foot, and you just don't find these size options in many mainstream stores. I finally found Zappos.com with lots of sizes stocked and free shipping and free returns. I love them! They may be a little more expensive, but I know my foot isn't growing anymore, so I just realized this is the area I need to spend a little extra money.

Narrow feet can fit into certain types of shoes without coming off, but wide feet, well, it just looks really bad when I squeeze them into regular width shoes, so I've given up. Try Zappos for their selection. Maybe you'll find something at a decent price that will fit her and be age-appropriate. They have a huge selection and their shipping is very quick!

I feel for you!!! My daughter (now 14) passed my shoe size years ago! I am a perfect 6 and she wears a woman's size 10. I have sometimes worried that she would be concerned about "big feet"... but nooooo...she teases me about my small feet!! She loves the trendy stuff...both expensive and cheap. We shop the major stores and also Payless and Target. As long as they have the "look" she doesn't care what they cost. I DO NOT spend a lot on her shoes...she usually can find what she loves at the discount places. She would much rather have a lot of (cheaper) shoes to choose from than a few expensive shoes.

I'm so glad I found this thread. My 13 year old DD wears size 10 1/2 shoes -- and her feet are still growing. I try to get by with two pairs of dress shoes for her per year -- black for winter, white for summer -- because she outgrows them in a matter of months.

We have a day of shopping planned this Saturday (if there are no flight delays) before we embark on our cruise on Sunday. I used the DSW online store locater and we'll head there if we don't find something at the mall.

On our shopping list are shoes and swimsuits -- another item that's so hard to find in an age appropriate style for a tall young teen!

My tip for Fam of 5: try Gap jeans (when they are on sale). The only jeans that fit my DD (who also doesn't have hips yet) are Gap size 2 long.

Archived