Has anyone gotten seasick w/ Captain Marvins?

jdaa

My daughter is very prone to seasickness. (She's fine in our boat in the lake, but had a horrible experience the one time we tried deep-sea fishing, even w/ meds. She also gets carsick.) Has anyone prone to motionsickness had a problem w/ Captain Marvins? Is it water rough? Do you go out far? Thanks.

My daughter has to take a Dramamine when we fly, or for long car trips, had no problems on either of our trips with Captain Marvin's. You might take along some Bonine or Dramamine just in case. It seems like it only took 5 minutes or less to get to our first stop. As for the water being rough, it depends on what's been going on...weather wise. The second time we were there, that had been a storm and the water was quite choppy, but my daughter didn't complain a bit.

We just got back from a Captain Marvin 2 hour stingray/snorkel tour on Feb. 23 and didn’t find it do be a particularly rocky ride, so I wouldn’t think it would be an issue. I would highly recommend taking the tour, even with 500 other tourists there it was still a great experience and for us one of the highlights of the trip and all of the crew were great.

I would highly recommend taking the tour, even with 500 other tourists there it was still a great experience and for us one of the highlights of the trip and all of the crew were great.

This last time we were there, we were the ONLY boat in the area. It was so amazing to be the only ones at Stingray City. The day we picked, there were no ships in port. It was soooooo neat!

But whether there are 500 people there, or 25, it's an awesome experience.

This last time we were there, we were the ONLY boat in the area. It was so amazing to be the only ones at Stingray City. The day we picked, there were no ships in port. It was soooooo neat!

But whether there are 500 people there, or 25, it's an awesome experience.

Wow that would have been great, when we were in there was a total of 7 ships in port, it was absolutely nuts everywhere.

Wow that would have been great, when we were in there was a total of 7 ships in port, it was absolutely nuts everywhere.

We were there for a week, and on the days that there were lots of ships in port, we tried to be either at our condo on the beach or on another part of the island. The 7MB area was nuts! The day we left, we counted 9 ships! I think anything over 3 or 4 is too many.

Hi, we are going on our first cruise and one of my daughters is prone to motion sickness (long car rides) and also on our sailboat. We give her bonine and it doesn't make her tired and it works great. Here's a question - what about on the cruise line itself? Does anyone feel any type of motion sickness on the cruise? I heard the ships are so large that you don't feel like you're on a boat. Is this true? I plan to make sure I bring a supply of bonine ... for all of us just in case. 26 days to go to paradise!!! :D Cathy

My daughter really is the only one in the family who has a problem with motion sickness. She took Bonine (and so did the rest of us) for the first day or two of our cruise, and we all felt sick, so we quit taking it and soon felt fine. The ship does move, but my daughter never complained about feeling sick. I'd carry the Bonine just in case. :)

We just got back from a Captain Marvin 2 hour stingray/snorkel tour on Feb. 23 and didn’t find it do be a particularly rocky ride, so I wouldn’t think it would be an issue. I would highly recommend taking the tour, even with 500 other tourists there it was still a great experience and for us one of the highlights of the trip and all of the crew were great.

Vancruiser69....Can you tell me about the boat that is used for the trip. Are you able to spread out at all or is everyone right next to each other?

We are leaving this weekend and this is the last port that we haven't made tour arrangements.

Thanks!

Angelina

Vancruiser69....Can you tell me about the boat that is used for the trip. Are you able to spread out at all or is everyone right next to each other?

We are leaving this weekend and this is the last port that we haven't made tour arrangements.

Thanks!

Angelina

The boat was a fairly good size, I wouldn't say there's exactly room to lounge around but it definitely did not feel overcrowded, everyone had their own personal space, there was an upper level you can sit on, and that was with about 30 of us plus 3 crew on board. The boat seemed to be in great shape and did not appear run down in any way. The boat ride is only about 25 minutes each way anyways and the time goes by so fast looking at the beautiful scenery.

When we got to the stingrays there were about 6 other tour boats there, and all of them were about the same size except for one big boat that had about 100 people packed in it like sardines. The crew we had was friendly and helpful and even picked up a stingray so everyone could get a picture of them holding one.

We had so much fun and it really was a great experience, I would highly recommend the stingrays and Captain Marvin, for us it was by far the best excursion we booked and it reallyl is a great memory.

Hi, we are going on our first cruise and one of my daughters is prone to motion sickness (long car rides) and also on our sailboat. We give her bonine and it doesn't make her tired and it works great. Here's a question - what about on the cruise line itself? Does anyone feel any type of motion sickness on the cruise? I heard the ships are so large that you don't feel like you're on a boat. Is this true? I plan to make sure I bring a supply of bonine ... for all of us just in case. 26 days to go to paradise!!! :D Cathy

Yes, you'll feel the ship rock. I almost fell once while in a lounge way aft (and didn't have a drink yet). And people do get seasick. I took Bonine every night and still felt queasy during dinner on our first sea day. I went back to the cabin and took some ginger and that helped. Others in our group actually had to go lay down for awhile. Just come prepared and you'll do fine.

We are going to the Cayman island on the Princess in June. We are in port from 7am to 3. Will we have time to do Stingray City, and still go to the town of Hell and the Tortuga Rum Factory? Would also like to see Rum Point Beach. Is this possible in the time frame? And who would I get to take us there? Thank you for responding, we are trying to get things lined up.

We went on Capt. Marvin's tour last year and had no trouble with sea-sickness, even with 4 pre-schoolers along. The water was a little choppy that day, but not bad. You don't go out very far; of course, you can be unlucky and hit a rougher day.

The boat was not crowded at all; maybe 20 people total; we had the whole top to ourselves. (We had 13 in our party). We were much more crowded a couple of years ago when we took a ship's tour to the same area.

It was a great trip. I'd start your daughter on bonine, or whatever works well for her, well in advance. I like ginger tablets as well.

I rarely notice much motion on the bigger ships and sometimes can't even tell we've left port. But of course there's always the chance for rougher weather.

I spoke with a Doctor at work last night about this very subject. He said if you're going to take dramine, or something like it, he says to take it at least an hour before you go. He says it works on the inner ear, and equalizing something or other in there. He also said that seasick and carsick are different. I know I get seasick on small boats in rough water, but did fine out there. It all depends on the conditions, so you never know. If she feels sick, have her jump out of the boat as soon as it stops and it is safe, that's what works for me. We will be on Capt. Marvin's tour in about a week and a half.

I spoke with a Doctor at work last night about this very subject. He said if you're going to take dramine, or something like it, he says to take it at least an hour before you go. He says it works on the inner ear, and equalizing something or other in there. He also said that seasick and carsick are different. I know I get seasick on small boats in rough water, but did fine out there. It all depends on the conditions, so you never know. If she feels sick, have her jump out of the boat as soon as it stops and it is safe, that's what works for me. We will be on Capt. Marvin's tour in about a week and a half.

Any idea how carsickness is different than seasickness? That has me curious. I am prone to carsickness and am worried about the seasickness on our first cruise too. Thanks!

Archived