Road to Hana with private guide?

felicia007

Has anyone had experience with hiring a private guide/cab driver at Kahului for a full day drive of the Road to Hana? Since it will probably only be two of us, we'd rather not be stuck the whole time driving ourselves, and a limo would be too expensive. Any info on where to find such a person at the pier, the cost, or any better ideas greatly appreciated!

Came across this site using Google.com

http://www.guidesofmaui.com/index-gom.html

We've never done the drive with a guide so I can't really say what it would be like. We've driven the road to Hana five times and I never thought it was that bad. Plenty of opportunity for stops to break up the driving, but the key to the road is to allow plenty of time. Hana is only 53 miles from Kahului but it's about a 3+ hour drive each way with only minimal stopping. As many have said before, it's not Hana but the drive itself that is the attraction although you may want to explore Hana a bit.

Came across this site using Google.com

http://www.guidesofmaui.com/index-gom.html

We've never done the drive with a guide so I can't really say what it would be like. We've driven the road to Hana five times and I never thought it was that bad. Plenty of opportunity for stops to break up the driving, but the key to the road is to allow plenty of time. Hana is only 53 miles from Kahului but it's about a 3+ hour drive each way with only minimal stopping. As many have said before, it's not Hana but the drive itself that is the attraction although you may want to explore Hana a bit.

hey dan...did you ever drive the road counterclockwise?? think we are gonna try that to avoid crowds. your thoughts????

We've only gone clockwise and did continue on past Oheo Gulch around the backside one time. When I was looking for private guides, saw someone advertised a tour that went to Tedeshe Winery first and then around the back side of Haleakala with a stop in Hana for lunch. I would think you would pretty much have that road to yourself if you leave early. All the info I've seen on that road says to check at the ranger station at Oheo Gulch, not sure how you could do that but as long as the weather isn't threatening, you shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Piilani-Hwy.htm

We've only gone clockwise and did continue on past Oheo Gulch around the backside one time. When I was looking for private guides, saw someone advertised a tour that went to Tedeshe Winery first and then around the back side of Haleakala with a stop in Hana for lunch. I would think you would pretty much have that road to yourself if you leave early. All the info I've seen on that road says to check at the ranger station at Oheo Gulch, not sure how you could do that but as long as the weather isn't threatening, you shouldn't have a problem.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Piilani-Hwy.htm

thanks dan thats quite a help. the pictures sure help you put in your mind what it actually might be like. i am going to try and dig up the ranger station phone # and cover my kines that way. thanks again for the link!

But here';s my question about going counterclockwise...

We are staying overnight in Hana and I have been thinking what a drag it would be to go the "regular" road back tward Kahalui while all the traffic is people driving atr us toward Hana. Is that a problem?

So we've been thinking of joing the morning masses driving to Hana on teh main road one morning, and driving back via the Oheo Gulch road the next lunchtime, staoopping lots of places, including Haleakula. Does that work?

If you aren't leaving Hana until mid day, just a guess that it's about 40 miles to Haleakala and about 3 hours driving, so you won't get there until late afternoon. If it's in the summer and days are longer, you might still have enough daylight for a trip to the summit. Remember Hawaii does not have DST. The road past Oheo Gulch usually doesn't have much traffic and going counterclockwise you are on the inside lane so it's a little less scary for the passenger.

Archived