Hotels in Houston..precruise?

lcds1

Hi! We cruised out of Houston on the Sun in December and stayed at the Comfort Suites in La Porte, Tx. La Porte is only a couple of miles from the pier and the closest town w/motels area.

It was a very nice hotel. Large rooms with a sitting area and a great (included) breakfast buffet with the works..eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.. Just what every pre-cruiser needs as a send-off meal!! They did have a shuttle to-and-from the pier for $5 pp each way. It's so close though that I can't imagine that a taxi would cost any more than that! We opted to drive to the pier and park. We'd sailed from Houston before and it is really a great set-up. You park right next to the pier in a fenced lot with just a few steps to walk! It was either $47 or $49 dollars and we just wanted the convenience.

There were a couple of other hotels in that area but I don't remember their names. Perhaps - for more options - there is a way to check what is in La Porte on line. I don't think I saw anything that looked any nicer. I think we paid $70-something for the night.

One more thing. Just down the road about 8 miles from La Porte is the Kemah area. It's on the water and there are several good restaurants, shops, rides and it's just a great fun area to go to and mill-around the evening before you sail.

I hope this helps and that they have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

This could be too late to respond, but if you are going to use the Houston pier at La Porte, remember the South Shore Resort in Seabrook. We used them last August when we sailed out from Houston. Very nice hotel, quiet. They have a cruise package including breakfast buffet for 2. You need to have proof of sailing, ie. cruise doc. check their site. They do not provide free shuttle though. We rented a car when we were in Houston. I really liked the Houston pier, very easy to get to and not as hectic as the Galveston pier.

We stayed at the Comfort Suites as well, not a resort but clean and it worked fine for a place to lay your head before embarking on the cruise. We had rented a car from Enterprise at the Airport and then collected it at the Port, worked out great!! Enjoy;)

There are 3 other hotels in La Porte that you can check out. Contact each one at their local numbers below to find out about shuttles and parking. I don't think any of them offer free shuttles, however I believe there is a company in the area that shuttles for the $5 per person a previous poster mentioned.

Best Western

705 Highway 146 S

La Porte, Texas 77571-4835

(281) 471-4040

Fairway Inn

902 Hwy 146 South

La Porte, Texas 77571

(281) 470-2800

La Quinta Inn

1105 Hwy. 146 South

La Porte, Texas 77571-6119

(281) 470-0760

I live in La Porte, so let me know if you have any questions.

Jana

Archived