Duct Tape Questions

gxchan

I have read various suggestions for using duct tape while traveling but still have questions:

1. Do you pack it in a ziplock type bag? (My roll seems to stick to everything, including a ziplock-type bag; I have a devil of a time getting it back out.)

2. What do you pack to cut the tape with that can get through security?

Thanks,

I have read various suggestions for using duct tape while traveling but still have questions:

1. Do you pack it in a ziplock type bag? (My roll seems to stick to everything, including a ziplock-type bag; I have a devil of a time getting it back out.)

2.  What do you pack to cut the tape with that can get through security?  

Thanks,

It tears.......;)

Our WalMart sells little flat packages of duct tape - it's with the regular duct tape in hardware - but is meant for travel and such.

I'm pretty sure that I can leave home w/o it. :)

Speaking of leaving home without it - I use one of those phony plastic credit cards (from those never-ending credit card offers you get in the mail) and I roll my own flat pack from the roll of duct tape I have at home. Just neatly unroll it from the big roll onto the flat card until you have at least 2 yards (two arms length). Then just hand tear it. Sure beats the price of even Walmarts. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I tried tearing the duct tape, clearly I'm the problem. I'm also the one who can't get it out of the ziplock bag without cutting the bag open:p ), so I'll take a small pair of scissors.

I love the flat duct idea and will look it for or make my own!

Again, thanks for the input.

If you still want to use your own roll, cut a piece of wax paper (round and about 1/2" bigger than the roll) and stick it to each side. That's how we keep our gaff tape seperated in the shop and I'm sure it would work with duct tape as well. It keeps the rolls from stick to one another and it's easy to remove and replace.

Charlie

If you still want to use your own roll, cut a piece of wax paper (round and about 1/2" bigger than the roll) and stick it to each side. That's how we keep our gaff tape seperated in the shop and I'm sure it would work with duct tape as well. It keeps the rolls from stick to one another and it's easy to remove and replace.

Charlie

Charlie,

THANKS for the wax paper idea! It is the stickiness of the sides of the tape that have been giving me the most trouble. Wax paper! What a great idea! Again, thanks!

• 2 months later...

Charlie

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *running out to garage with waxed paper*

I love the new clear duct tape, but it's ever stickier on the sides of the roll than the silver!:eek:

Ok, I have read about all your creative ways of bringing duct tape along on the trip, and they are great!!!

But my question is..... .WHAT do you need duct tape for on a cruise?

It may be obvious to you, but I'm in the dark here.

Some ideas, please!

Ok, I have read about all your creative ways of bringing duct tape along on the trip, and they are great!!!

But my question is..... .WHAT do you need duct tape for on a cruise?

It may be obvious to you, but I'm in the dark here.

Some ideas, please!

I have the same question....I guess I have missed the threads that tell you what you actually do with duct tape on a cruise! This being my first cruise.............please tell me Why I should pack the tape!?!?!? :)

I have been on 7 cruises so far and have yet to find a reason to use duct tape. I must be doing something wrong, or missing a really good time!!!!:D :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Gx,

Here's what I did. I saved a cardboard roll from the toilet tissue and then I cut it in half. Then I wound the duct tape around it and I flattened it. It didn't take up much space at all and I didn't lose too much of the stickiness by rerolling it onto my roll.

I have been on 7 cruises so far and have yet to find a reason to use duct tape. I must be doing something wrong, or missing a really good time!!!!:D :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

hahaha.....well i hope someone tells me what to do with it so I dont miss a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally I think a lot of people got into duct table after some major hotel fire. You can use it to seal your door and protect yourself from smoke. I'd just as soon not stay in my room during a fire, especially if we are above the fifth floor.

In the theater, we have many uses for gaff tape, same stuff, but it's comes in a variety of colors, usually black. We use it to tape up shoes that are coming apart or to silence or make skid proof shoes, we use it to hold costumes together, keep sets from falling over, one student even made a Halloween costume out of the stuff.

Practical use on a ship, you could tape shut a cabinet door with a broken latch,(also works on a drippy faucet) keep open a balcony door, use it as an emergency seam in tuxes (actually, yes, it can be done), It can delint things, tape boxes shut, there are a bunch of things to do with it. It's one of those things that once you get use to having it around, you wonder how you lived without it.

hey, I'm just sayin...

Charlie

I have been on 7 cruises so far and have yet to find a reason to use duct tape. I must be doing something wrong, or missing a really good time!!!!

I use it to tape my 'please save' sign to the chair on the sundeck. ;)

Happy Cruising!:D

I bring masking tape to keep closet doors and drawers closed on a bad night. On one of my last cruises, we were having a rough night at sea. The closet door kept swinging open and closed, open and closed...to the point where I was ready to scream. We finally put the chair in front of it. Ok so that was fixed. Then around 4:00 a.m. my daughter and I woke to a big crash in the room. If that isn't scary enough, imagine jumping out of bed and stepping in cold water. Hmmm, what could that be? Well, it turned out that when the ship really tipped, every drawer came sailing out of the dresser. The ice bucket was flung across the room sending cold water and ice everywhere. The glasses on top of the dresser and everything else went over. We cleaned up the mess and vowed to always bring tape to keep the drawers closed, at least, on a bad night at sea.

Archived