Duct Tape Questions

gxchan

I use brightly colored duct tape to stick all over our luggage, makes it easy to find in that "sea" of luggage. We have used it to tape up and make a handle for stuff we bought that would not fit in a suitcase.

I used yellow last year, red and white the year before last. Neon pink this year.:p

with a small bottle of "Goo Gone" - I'm also speaking of gaff tape, which comes up clean, unless it's left on for months. however, if you leave on for years, the residue left behind will just flake off. Duct tape is nasty, but the goo stuff does work. I just prefer my tape a bit more 'juiced' than the usual whimpy masking tape.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

You may think I am crazy, but I used it to tape black plastic trashbags over our window on our Disney cruise last year. My littlest will NOT lay back down in the morning if she gets ANY clue that the sun is coming up. I booked in interior because of this, but packed supplies just in case we were upgraded. With my luck, we were. Worked great and the tape did not leave any residue. I did not use much and did not press it down really hard and it was only there for the week.

I have read various suggestions for using duct tape while traveling but still have questions:

1. Do you pack it in a ziplock type bag? (My roll seems to stick to everything, including a ziplock-type bag; I have a devil of a time getting it back out.)

2. What do you pack to cut the tape with that can get through security?

Thanks,

pack it in a ziplock bag and it tears so no need for sharp instruments.....BTW, I took some and never use it :eek: :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I bring masking tape to keep closet doors and drawers closed on a bad night. On one of my last cruises, we were having a rough night at sea. The closet door kept swinging open and closed, open and closed...to the point where I was ready to scream. We finally put the chair in front of it. Ok so that was fixed. Then around 4:00 a.m. my daughter and I woke to a big crash in the room. If that isn't scary enough, imagine jumping out of bed and stepping in cold water. Hmmm, what could that be? Well, it turned out that when the ship really tipped, every drawer came sailing out of the dresser. The ice bucket was flung across the room sending cold water and ice everywhere. The glasses on top of the dresser and everything else went over. We cleaned up the mess and vowed to always bring tape to keep the drawers closed, at least, on a bad night at sea.

The stewards should sort out this sort of thing without being asked.

As for mending things - that is the job of the ship surely?

• 3 weeks later...

My first post and I haven't even gone on my 1st cruise (yet) but maybe a helpful tip -

You can wind duct tape onto on of the highlighters ( or some other small round object - like a pencil ) to eliminate having a 6" diameter roll with you.

When I've gone 4 wheelin in the mountains guys usually wrap a socket extension with different kinds of tape ( just to have in case they need it ) and it saves quite a bit of space.

• 3 weeks later...

Lari,

Baleing twine and duct tape we use here on our farm during the winter months to repair our post n rail fencing, horse blanket tares, horses feet for lost shoes, leaky buckets , quick leaky snow boot repairs, seaming window drafts in the barn and battening down the hatches during a storm..the list goes on and on. For travel a must toooooooooooooooooo! I always pack a whole new roll that I purchase at our local Feed/hardware store. I also buy a good supply of post-its for quick notes etc. It would be interesting to see what was the funkiest thing someone had to use duct tape for...........should we go there?????????????

• 4 months later...

I ended up using my duck tape two times on my first cruise.

1. the blow dryer in our room had a hole in the hose so I taped it

2. I am not an earliy riser and after the first moring waking up with the sun shining thru the edge of the curtain, I decided to tape it closed every nite after.;)

didnt need it on the next cruise

• 3 weeks later...

We prefer gaffer's tape. It's more expensive, but works so much better for travel uses. It sticks as well as duct tape, but leaves no residue. It can be peeled off of most surfaces and re-applied many times. I am using a piece right now to hold the battery/card door shut on my old point and shoot digital camera. I can usually open and shut it 40-50 times before I have to replace it. I carry 2 small rolls (black and grey) in my backpack carry-on and it never sticks to the pocket at all. We've used it to fix tears, hem pants, stick a camera to a fence for a group photo...all the things you use duct tape for without the gummy surprise left afterwards.

It's harder to find (I ordered mine from B&H Photo along with my last order), but worth it.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

In the theater, we have many uses for gaff tape, same stuff, but it's comes in a variety of colors, usually black. We use it to tape up shoes that are coming apart or to silence or make skid proof shoes, we use it to hold costumes together, keep sets from falling over, one student even made a Halloween costume out of the stuff.

Charlie

I hate to get picky, but Gaffers tape and duct tape are not the same. Gaffers tape is more expensive and the important difference is that gaffers tape comes off much cleaner. Duct tape tends to leave a sticky residue and is much more difficult to pull up.

"I wrote this before I saw the previous message"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can wrap duct tape arund a water bottle...that is what we do when we are hiking..I learned this from a Wilderness First Aid Class..you will always have it with you..and if you have enough you could make a duct tape wallet or other arts and crafts project which you could find on the web!!! No kidding..:D :eek:

Okay, I left the baling wire at home, but we DID use the duck tape on our cruise two weeks ago. We took an over-the-door shoe rack (which was AWESOME btw) for toiletries and things we needed handy (like ID cards) and we used the tape to keep it from smacking the wall at the bottom (water was pretty rough the first two days). We used it to tape an XL ziploc (dirty laundry bag) closed on the way off the ship. Our niece used it to secure her camera battery pack that kept popping open. And my in-laws used it for their suitcase -- not sure exactly what for though.

And when the kids got too rowdy... um, uh...:rolleyes:

jc42

Archived