Received notification that Dining Reservations are open, but cannot book

mary_228

Does anyone have advice for me? I have tried to reload and refresh the screen. Frustrating!

The Onboard Experience tab states that "Dining Reservations are not available at this time."

Edited by mary_228
correct typo

Yep…you are in with the rest of us! We do have a general consensus that we are likely to be able to make reservations once we get on the ship…but no one seems to be able to make reservations while online…unless of course you really want to make reservations for 9PM

36 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

Yep…you are in with the rest of us! We do have a general consensus that we are likely to be able to make reservations once we get on the ship…but no one seems to be able to make reservations while online…unless of course you really want to make reservations for 9PM

Is your conclusion that the spots are already taken, or that there is a snafu in the website? I am easily able to book a spa apointment, for example.

45 minutes ago, Let Me Travel! said:

I definitely have the problem…we are traveling with another couple, and we were unable to make a dinner reservation (earlier than 9PM)…we were able to make spa reservations…maybe I should call or chat?

I was unable to even click on the "Learn More" link since it said reservations were unavailable. It sounds like on your sailing the restaurant is fully booked? Did you try alternative days? We have 15 nights so there is plenty of time to get into the specialty dining. Our sailig companions have a higher cabin category, so I noticed that the confirmation referred to us being invited by them to dine at a specific time/date. So I really have no idea how this works (or doesn't).

Do you think there will be a “live chat” agent available on a Saturday evening available at 11pm EST to assist with booking reservations? That is when my dining reservations open tomorrow night. Have not sailed Viking Ocean before but somewhat disappointed with process to prebook excursions and reservations prior to sailing. Sailing with several friends in different categories which makes it impossible to coordinate prior to boarding. I am hoping this will be rectified onboard and all will be well. River cruises just so relaxing and no stress regarding scheduling dining when we have no idea of shows, schedules, or activities. Hope you are successful scheduling tonight.

This seems to be a general problem this time. I am still waiting to hear back from customer services who promised to sort it out. We are due to Board the Sky next Saturday (6 August).  We are in PV so not just DV who cannot make proper reservations. I had no probs with Excursions. 

Surprise! surprise! Received a text from a traveling companion that the  dining reservations that were supposed to open up at 11pm actually were open at 7:30am this morning.  Still was difficult to get a reservation and most were at 9pm. I am aggravated with booking process but  the thought of paying significantly higher prices for a higher category just to be able to make earlier selection of excursions and dining reservations doesn't make sense either especially if you have booked and paid for cruise reservations 18 months in advance. Hoping I will be in a happier frame of mind when I finally board our ship. 

If you are talking about the Restaurant and not Manfredi's or Chef's Table, all you need do is appear at the Restaurant with your party at whatever time you want to dine and they will seat you pretty much immediately.  Not sure why some sailings allow advance reservations at the Restaurant and others do not, but it is irrelevant.  Getting into the Restaurant when you want to without a reservation is not a problem.

As for Manfredi's and Chef's Table, because Viking allows suite passengers 3 reservations in each restaurant, often the best dates and times are not available for DV passengers to reserve in advance.  But if you go straight to the dining reservations desk at Customer Relations as soon as you board the ship, they will probably be able to accommodate you for at least one reservation at each specialty restaurant at a time that is suitable for you.  To dine a second or subsequent time at one of these restaurants, you will probably need to see the maitre' d for each restaurant when it opens.

So how do I find the "Live Chat"???   We cruised on Viking in 2019 and didn't have any problems making reservations (same cabin category).  Now, I'm refreshing every few minutes but seems like I'm not the only one having problems.

2 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

So how do I find the "Live Chat"???   We cruised on Viking in 2019 and didn't have any problems making reservations (same cabin category).  Now, I'm refreshing every few minutes but seems like I'm not the only one having problems.

If not showing up in MVJ, it’s sometimes available on the main Viking website. Depends on the time of day, though. And it will also show up on weekends.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:41 PM, Queenie1603 said:

This seems to be a general problem this time. I am still waiting to hear back from customer services who promised to sort it out. We are due to Board the Sky next Saturday (6 August).  We are in PV so not just DV who cannot make proper reservations. I had no probs with Excursions. 

I emailed customer services when I stared having the same probs described here. I sent them a list of my requests and this morning I received an email to say all my request have been met. Nothing has changed in my Cruise dairy yet but it does seem that something has happened. We board the Sky on Saturday so fingers crossed.