Snorkeling Help!

We snorkeled in Grand Cayman 3 years ago... booked the excursion through Royal Caribbean & it was called Stingray City Swim & Snorkel. The snorkeling was awesome, lots of colorful fish & the swimming with the stingrays was a once in a lifetime experience! Never thought I'd hold onto one of those critters but I've got the pictures to prove it!! Highly recommended!!

Can't speak for the other 2 ports, though... maybe somebody else has some input.

Take one of the catamaran trips that also includes snorkeling you will not be sorry. First you snorkel, then its lunch on the beach and then you drink on the Cat all the way back to the ship. Either Cozumel or the Cayman's have these excursions but I preferred the snorkeling in Cozumel. If I recall correctly the only thing to do in Costa Maya is taking the bus to the ruins or walking around the port area. It was a fairly new port with little to do when I was there.

Cozumel had terrifc snorkeling at Chankanaab, a nearby state park and wildlife refuge. I hear Hurricane Rita decimated the park, but they were going to try to be open by the time you cruise. Not sure about snorkeling in Costa Maya, but the beach at Mahual is very nice and not too crowded. It's a 10 min. cab ride. There was snorkel gear for rent at a shack on the beach, so that might be worth checking out. As for the Caymans, we booked the stingray snorkeling excursion both times we cruised to the Western Caribbean, and both times it was cancelled due to rough seas. Have a great time!:)

Honestly, if your going to Cozumel and Grand Cayman, you really can't go wrong. They are very well known as 2 of the best Scuba/Snorkelling locations in the world.

There are several private vendors in GC that will take you to StingRay City and then to the barrier reef for significantly less than the ship offered excursions. Look on the Ports of Call board.

In Cozumel, there are also several vendors, including those offered through the ship. Prior to Hurricane Wilma last fall (we left Coz on the Grandeur the day before it hit....) you could snorkel for very little cost at Chankanaab National Park. I don't believe it is re-opened yet, but if it is, there is a very long shore line/ reed that was wonderful. I understand it may have (and most likely did) sustain major damage to the reef. You may be better off with a ship sponsored excursion here, as they will take you to the best places. Try the ports of call board anyway and try cozumelinsider.com

Good Luck,

Jay

We did the Reef & Wreck snorkel excursion (thru RCCL) at Grand Cayman on our recent cruise. We enjoyed it very much so I would recommend it. It was good for children, it is inexpensive, ($28), and they first take you to a shipwreck for a short time, then to a coral reef, which was very beautiful.

I can't compare to Cozumel or Costa Maya because I have never been to either. My only complaint about the Reef & Wreck tour was it was very crowded at the shipwreck, because another snorkel tour was snorkeling there at the same time.

In Cozumel, there's no reason to book an excursion for snorkeling. Just take a taxi to Dzul-Ha or Corona beach. This way you can go at your leisure, and it's free. They have food, drinks, showers, lockers, rentals available. At least they did before Wilma. Chankanaab park is OK, but it's not one of the better places for snorkeling.

In Grand Caymen, Stingray city is a must see. But don't take the ships excursion, you can go on a private tour like Capt. Marvins. It will be cheaper, better, and less crowded.

wow..we did stingray and snorkling....I booked it with Capt Marvins.....not thru ship....3 hours..it was unbelievable and they had a videotographer on board who filmed us all snorkling....The cd can out great.....if you do book thru them, make sure the guy will be on that boat......friends booked capt Marvin thru the shipand their trip was 2 hrs and 15 more pp.....and no cd for them.....Have a great time...Im jealous

We love the Fury Catamaran snorkel sail.The Catamarans are Large. and sail smooth .We have done it twice once booked on the Voyager and again while staying in Mexico and both times were alot of fun. The Crew is GREAT very helpfull and keep you laughing. They take you to two snorkel spots and then lunch "Hamburgers"at the Beach where you can relax for about an hr on a raft or play Volley ball My favorite part is the fast sail back . The Water is just Beautiful. They also serve drinks beer etc. after the two snorkel spots

Archived