So, have YOU brought alcohol on board NCL?

Stunt

Tried to bring alcohol on board?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Tried to bring alcohol on board?

• No, I play by the rules
    • Yes, but it was confiscated
    • Yes, and I enjoyed it all week long

Hi Shoreguy,

Where can I find the list of all they offer? I requested one to be e-mailed to me, but they stated they could not do that. I ordered Amaretto $55 & Bacardi Gold $40 as a bar setup. I really wanted mudslide or white russian, but they said they did not have that.

I might want to do some wine...

Thanks,

White Russian is just Vodka & Kahlua with cream. Drop the cream add Baileys and you have a mudslide. You may want to rethink your order:)

As far as wine no sense ordering until you get onboard. Same price and greater selection on the ship. You can get any bottle for your room. Check out the wine list

Are these the same prices you pay in the dining room?

Yes they are - Check out the wine list posted above. They do add 15% tip - if you check out wine on the bon voyage list it is equal to the prices on the list plus the 15% http://www.ncl.com/more/bon_voyage_list.htm#vintage

You can stop at any bar or call room service and have a bottle for your cabin.

We've taken our own aboard, just recently on the Star.

We had the three bottle in the AA, but we wanted to have Kahlua, Bailly's and Bushmill's for coffee and a little dark spiced rum, which we'd heard wasn't available on the bar list.

We took seven pieces of luggage (gotta love a home port) and packed our hair care products among them.

Not that this poll is really "scientific" but I find it interesting with all the complaining about NCL taking peoples booze, that only 2% have actually had it confiscated! Pretty telling I think... think "the greasy wheel"... :rolleyes:

~Intrepid

Not that this poll is really "scientific" but I find it interesting with all the complaining about NCL taking peoples booze, that only 2% have actually had it confiscated! Pretty telling I think... think "the greasy wheel"... :rolleyes:

~Intrepid

Sort of like a speed trap - we all know somebody or saw somebody pulled over by the booze trap - like the highway they only stop a small percentage but we all slow down when we pass those spots that often have radar.

I think we do a lot to help reduce the smuggling buy continuing to post the horror stories - can you say deterent :rolleyes:

I have often posted I felt if they got 10% that was a lot. The numbers here seem to support that.

Here is the collection from the Jewel in Sept. Not many bags for 2500 passengers.

2013049886_JewelTAbags.jpg.9272a235ef37f350e807bbb53324f9fa.jpg

I packed 3 bottles of wine in my suitcase & the suitcase was flagged. When I went to the "alcohol police station" to retrive it, the woman of the couple in front of me playfully slapped her DH when they removed a 1/2 gallon of cheap vodka from his suitcase. She had just seen them pull a bottle of champagne out of mine as she said, "At least she brought good stuff; I'm so embarassed." It was all very funny.

The staff put stickers on my wine & sent me on my way. Whenever I wanted it, I asked & it was brought up to me & the corckage fee was charged.

At the ports when we purchased liquor, we just handed it to them & got it back teh last night. No problem.

Sort of like a speed trap - we all know somebody or saw somebody pulled over by the booze trap - like the highway they only stop a small percentage but we all slow down when we pass those spots that often have radar.

I think we do a lot to help reduce the smuggling buy continuing to post the horror stories - can you say deterent :rolleyes:

I have often posted I felt if they got 10% that was a lot. The numbers here seem to support that.

Here is the collection from the Jewel in Sept. Not many bags for 2500 passengers.

why on earth would you feel it is your duty to "help reduce smuggling"? does it effect you in any way at all?

why on earth would you feel it is your duty to "help reduce smuggling"? does it effect you in any way at all?

I don't :( Where did you come up with that foolish assumption. I think all the horror stories posted here make people decide not to try. I think the reality is skewed online and NCL is benefiting.

that is exactly the right way to do it. Carry it on, if you have to pay corkage, well that is the way it goes. those who try to smuggle it are the ones that are getting in trouble. NMnita

Funny, no one gets in trouble. They either take it and give it back to you or if you choose, you pay the corkage fee. We are not in gradeschool. I smuggled twice and never "got in trouble". I plan on taking more this time. like two bottles of champagne and two bottles of wine for two cabins and 5 days on the sea. If they find it BIG DEAL, I will decide if I want to pay the fee or just have a pleasant suprise when I get off the ship!

Funny, no one gets in trouble. They either take it and give it back to you or if you choose, you pay the corkage fee. We are not in gradeschool. I smuggled twice and never "got in trouble". I plan on taking more this time. like two bottles of champagne and two bottles of wine for two cabins and 5 days on the sea. If they find it BIG DEAL, I will decide if I want to pay the fee or just have a pleasant suprise when I get off the ship!

Perfect Plan - That is exactly how I now approach it.

I don't :( Where did you come up with that foolish assumption. I think all the horror stories posted here make people decide not to try. I think the reality is skewed online and NCL is benefiting.

i got the "foolish assumption" from your post. would you like me to quote it to you?

Originally Posted by shoreguy

I don't :( Where did you come up with that foolish assumption. I think all the horror stories posted here make people decide not to try. I think the reality is skewed online and NCL is benefiting

I tend to agree with you, the more people post about it, the more scared people get and then they don't bother.

I think it is in NCL's interest to confiscate "some" of the alcohol being "smuggled". Let me explain. I will be sailing on NCL for the first time in the near future. I have sailed with several other cruise lines. While onboard we will spend money enjoying many drinks and wines provided by NCL. I also plan to enjoy some drinks, not provided by NCL, on the beautiful balcony of our minisuite. If NCL takes away the small amount of alcohol I plan to bring aboard, I will not spend any more than already planned. If I get to enjoy my own drinks on my balcony, I am likely to sail with NCL again. If they take it away, I will not enjoy my cruise experience with NCL as much as other lines, and I will go back to them. On the other hand, I don't wish to see people carrying boxes of booze onboard with the goal of not allowing NCL to make any money from a very important line of business. These people are also more likely to over consume and cause problems for the cruise line and fellow passengers. I think a nice balance of enforcement is the proper solution. :D Upside for NCL letting a few bottles go through? If we enjoy ourselves and cruise again. 2 Minisuites (Parents usually go as well) X $3500 + $2000 (total for shipboard charges) = $9000 Seems simple to me. They need to balance to keep everyone happy and I think they know that. Just keep in mind that the "smugglers" are also some of the biggest bar tabs.

i got the "foolish assumption" from your post. would you like me to quote it to you?

You already have quoted it. The issue is that you misunderstood what Shoreguy was getting at. Go back and read the whole post again, and perhaps you'll see what he was really saying. :) Those of us who've been around a while are quite familiar with Shoreguy, and probably read that post a bit differently than you did. Not everyone writes with the same styles, and oftentimes we can be misunderstood as a result. ;)

This thread is very interesting. We have been on the Dawn the past two years. In neither case did we bring wine on board, though we consumed our fair share in the restaurants.

From this thread, it seems like some bottles make it and some don't.

I would assume that NCL has made some kind of risk analysis. What is worth more to NCL:

• Catching EVERY bottle wine and collecting the $15 for each while security slows and thirsty, paying customers wait on the pier.

or

• Catch a few, make a point that they check while getting the passengers on the ship as fast as they can.

This seems like a no-brainer to me at $8 per pina colada. I will be bringing wine this time; I am prepared to pay the corkage fee. After I drop off my carry-on with the wine, I will be sipping the pina colada.

Can't wait.

Alright

I've Probably Been Reading These Threads For A Total Of Three Days And This My Conclusion And/or Advice. We Will Be On The Majesty 3-18 For Our First Ncl Cruise. We Are Not Prudes Or Alcoholics Just People On Vacation That Wish To Have A Drink In Our Room. We Have Sailed Many Cruise Lines And Have Always Taken Alcohol On Board. After Reading All This (stuff) I Feel As I Need A Vacation. We Ordered A Bar Setup. Basicly To Eliminate The Worry Factor. The Prices Are A Bit Higher ,but I Would Do The Same Thing. I Will Try To Take Some On Just To Test The Water For Future Ideas, But Feel It Will Be Hard As It Will Be Spring Break. The Folks That Call It Smuggling Probably Drive 70 In A 55 Speed Zone And See Nothing Wrong With It. I Also Speed Sometimes, So If I Get Cought I Pay The Fine Or In This Case Turn Over The Alcohol. Most Of Us Break A Rule Now And Again So Don't Be Critical That You Don't Smuggle. Our Bar Setup Was Easy And The Lady E-mailed Us Right Away With Conformation. I Also E-mailed Her Again To Add On To The List Yesterday With A Very Cheerful (no Problem).

I Also Feel The Cruise Prices Have Not Inflated As Fuel Prices Have Gone Up. So Enforcing The No Alcohol Rule May Be A Way Of Offsetting The Cost. But.... With Every Cruise Line Having New Ships Built That Cost Millions They Are Making Plenty Of Money. I Personally Like Rccl's Idea Of A Consumption Fee. You Buy It Duty Free Then Add 10.00, Still Cheaper Than Buying It In The Store. That Idea Eliminates The Heated Disscusion On This Thread.

Thanks To All Cruise Critis Members On Good Info And Ideas On All Topics. Thanks For Leting Me Say My Two Cents Worth. Lets All Just Get Along, Everyone Should Have It This Bad.

I'll Send A Report After Our Cruise. Go Vols

Alright

I Personally Like Rccl's Idea Of A Consumption Fee. You Buy It Duty Free Then Add 10.00, Still Cheaper Than Buying It In The Store. That Idea Eliminates The Heated Disscusion On This Thread.

So did I - Too bad they don't offer that option anymore:(

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=0000oBnVtgx-zgSsewiDCAsH2tn:10ktdmods#1

Archived