Suggestions for Equipment

lusyrsgirl

I plan on purchasing and taking at least a snorkel and mask - I think it's gross using the ones you can rent. We don't have the opportunity to snorkel much, so I was looking for a budget set. Anyone have a good experience with a budget snorkel set and know where I can find one??:confused:

Costco has US Divers sets now that include fins for a reasonable price. Unfortunately you can't try on masks that come in sets prior to purchase, and a good mask fit is important. If you are the type of snorkeler who just floats on the surface to see the pretty fish then I'd say just about any mask will do. If you plan to dive down 10' or so, you'll want a properly fitting mask, which will mean you need to go to a local dive store to find the right one.

Sam's or Costco will usually have a US Divers set that includes mask, snorkel, fins & mesh bag for around $40 that would be a good basic set. That being said, the mask fit is the most critical item for snorkeling enjoyment....an ill fitting, leaking mask is the pits. Sam's is usually pretty liberal on returns if you get it and it doesn't fit. To test, look up and place mask on face without the strap and check for basic fit(no large gaps around skirt) next lightly breath in through nose and bring head to normal position. Mask should stay in place with this light suction applied. If it doesn't, it will leak underwater. Going to a dive shop will get you proper fitting gear for $70 - $100.

Mike

I got mine from snorklemart.com

$ 54 got me a mask (with purge valve), a dry snorkle with purge vavle, bottle of defogger, and a padded case for the mask.

I have a reaaly hard face to get a good fit with a mask, but this mask seems to have such a large skirt that it will not leak

I just purchased several US Divers combo packs for my family to use on our 03/26 NCL Jewel trip. $24 for the adults and $19 for kids. Masks are surprisingly good (I SCUBA for fun so I have way too much experience with masks) with a good silicone skirt. Snorkle is perfect for light use and the fins are just right for crusing around the surface in. Not too big and just right. Would I use them for SCUBA? No way! But then again, my fins start at $150...

TIP: Before you go, rub the inside of the mask with toothpaste, using your finger, then wash out. This will significantly reduce the amount of fogging. You will still have to use spit or defogger in your mask but not quite as much

As for defogging the mask, I found some commercial defoggers that stated very clearly on the bottle...."do not get in eyes" Now, if you put that in your mask, right next to your eyes, don't blame me. I use a drop of regular Johnson's baby shampoo, smear it around in the mask, then lightly rinse. Works every time for me. And its a lot cheaper than store bought defogger.

Happy bubbles.

Archived