where do i find independant tour operators on this site?

leksi25

Hi all,

I'm taking my first cruise on 3/26/06. Going on the explorer of the sea.

My question is this, I went to the Port of Call area but can seem to find (perhaps i'm not searching for the right thing) actual tour operators that are recommended.

I know what i want to do with each Port we visit, but Royal Caribbean trips seem super expensive... so i'd like to find less expensive operatros for the same type of tours.

Thanks,

Aleksandra

What are your ports of call where you're looking for independents?

Many ports are listed separately by name, as you've probably seen, but some of the smaller ports are listed under Caribbean/other.

If your port hasn't been visited since last season you may not get too many suggestions right now, but you can go back to last year and see what was suggested.

Also, keep in mind that if you are wanting to do an extremely long tour, your best choice may be the ship's tour since the ship will wait for the group to return to the ship, but if you book independently and are late, they won't wait.

In the meantime, here are my 4 suggestions:

1) When you get to the appropriate port under Ports of Call on cruise critic, ask in a new thread for anyone's recommendation if you haven't seen what you're looking for.

2) Read reviews for your ship and your itinerary under "Reviews" on the blue banner at the top of the cruise critic first page. Some reviews will tell you who they used & whether the experience was a good or bad one.

3) Go to the Roll Calls board for your particular sailing and ask fellow passengers if they have booked independently.

4) If all this brings nothing, google the name of the port and you may find some tour operators advertising there. Sometimes you can find stuff on websites that give personal reviews of ports, which are not advertisements. Trip Advisor is one.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

lex: i am going on explorer in april for my first cruise!! I found the pricing for the excursions thru RCCL expensive also. I dont know your itinerary but i booked a tour for St Thomas with Godfrey (see under Ports of Call). He has gotten good reviews and i emailed him and had a reply a few hours later.

Have a great time!! :D

Archived