questions about TA 1099 form/or own agency?

Just wondering if this is worth it? I have cruised for years and have recently been asked to become an outside agent (working for a company on 1099 status). Has anyone done this before? Does it have any benefits compared to having my own business? Not sure how it will work out in the end, especially since we would be splitting commission (which by the way is not all that much money).

Appreciate any help in this matter, Thanks

As an outside agent you will make only a % of what the total commission is that is made. You should ask what that % is long before saying yes. You can only get some benefits depending upon what the total amount in $$ you make. I did this for years and left due to how few benefits there are. One example is booking a hotel room and being told you can pay 10% less on your room, this is based on rack rate not the discount rate they sale for, or fly for 20%off the cost of the ticket in full Y class again not the discount rate they sale when you book your air in advance.

If its a large agency and you have many people you know to start to sale travle to then ask what your % will be on what you do sale and then decide from there. Its been a few years so you should ask what the $$ amount is to get any discounts, or if they will give you your full commission on things you book for yourself. I can already tell you that airline tickets have NO commission, but you will be doing a booking fee for those if they let you. Ask them if they will do letters up for you even if you do not meet the min amount needed to go on fams, or other learning trips. Thos are just a few things you may want to know in advance of getting into some money to hook up to a computor system (ask on that also, and the $$ for it)... Hope this helps you in some info. I know its a changing thing for the agent all the time.

Archived