Xpedition postcards

Tellurian

We sail on March 26; my self-described postcard-obsessed husband is wondering where during the trip (besides ship gift shop and in Quito) he will be able to buy them. Does the Darwin research station carry them? Anyone know current postage rates from Ecuador to USA and/or Europe? Any information on buying and sending cards will help my husband sleep at night again or to at least think of more important things, like packing. Thanks! We have found lots of great info for the trip on this board.

We sail on March 26; my self-described postcard-obsessed husband is wondering where during the trip (besides ship gift shop and in Quito) he will be able to buy them. Does the Darwin research station carry them? Anyone know current postage rates from Ecuador to USA and/or Europe? Any information on buying and sending cards will help my husband sleep at night again or to at least think of more important things, like packing. Thanks! We have found lots of great info for the trip on this board.

There are plenty of places in Porta Ayoro as well as at the Darwin center and at the Airport in Baltra,and at the Barrel post Office-no postage needed there.

There was a post office on the trip to the equator in Quito. It cost $1.04 to mail the postcard. They haven't flown into Baltra in quite a while, the airport is under construction and won't be used for a couple of years. they should update that info. I think it was Santa Cruz they fly into from Quito.

Karyn, My wife and I were on the Nov. 13, 2005 sailing. We most definitely flew into and out of Baltra from Quito/Guayquil. Baltra airport had been closed for 2 - 3 months during part of the summer in 2005 to resurface the runway. It took longer than expected, but they did a nice job. It's now open again and I know of no reason that Baltra airport would be closed down again.

Dave

Your husband will have a good time with the Post Office "barrels" on the beach on one of the excursions. You leave your cards, pick up someone else's cards who lives near you (same city, state or country if you can), and mail them for that person when you get home. Someone in the future will, in turn, find your cards and mail them to you.

We even had someone ring our bell here in NYC with a hand delivery.

Make sure to mail one to yourself as a memento (they have nice cards of the ship and a few of those are given to you complimentary).

You will be home far sooner than your cards will.

Thanks for the details about the post office barrel, snorkl'n Barb; we had planned to put one in to home. Maybe we will get a visit in Bar Harbor next summer.... By the way was the snorkeling awesome? That is a real passion of both of ours. We are bringing our own masks and snorkels, but plan to use X fins. (My husband has a prescription mask and I adore my dry snorkel.)

The snorkeling was amazing, especially if you're an advanced swimmer and do the advanced snorkels. The current is strong and I didn't last long but the stronger swimmers got great views including turtles. Shore snorkeling when swimming with sea lions was my favorite treat. We took our own equipment (I love my dry snorkel as well) and, of course, used their wet suits....daily fun!

Archived