ruins

Scorpiorose

Hi there! Here's an excusion question....I've read these boards and it seems that when in Costa Maya we thought we'd visit the village there and just hang out.....I'm wondering though are the ruins on costa maya worth seeing? We are scheduled for the ruins in belize but now I'm wondering if the ones in costa maya are better? Is the beach really nice enough to stay a day there? thanks:p

Just in case you don't know...the ride to the town will cost $3.00 per person one way.

The beach in the town is very nice...shopping and food really close by. They have beach chairs set up as well. Very clear waters.

As far as the ruins....we were going to go to the Altun Ha ruins in Belize but my sister looked into them and said that it was very small not a lot to see. As far as the xmulitchan ruins I don't know anything about....what I can tell you is that we went to the Choccoben Mayan Ruins in Costa Maya and I thought they were awesome. I have never seen ruins before but my sister and Brother in law have been to several and they said they were happy with the size and the amount to see.

We booked with Ivan and David and they were great...they each take a group of about 15-20 people much better than the large crowds thru the CL.

At the end of the tour they offer to take you to the pier or back to town. We choose to go back to the pier but if we wanted to go to town we would have had close to 4 hours to hang out by the beach and do some shopping. If you are looking to shop in Costa Maya I have been told that shopping in the town is better on cost than on the pier and feel free to bargain with them.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thanks....I'm torn now, if I cancel the tour in Belize.....which we'd scheduled and rebook for the ones in Costa Maya what will we do in Belize. My BF doesn't want to do the cave tubbing.....getting in the water in Belize is not something that we want to do....I've booked and canceled so many trips now he thinks I'm crazy...I've heard that about the ruins in Belize....HELP!:confused:

thanks.....I made the mistake of reading all the stories about botfly and bugs in Belize and he read them and now we're a little bit afraid to do the water jungle things.....maybe we'll stay on the ruins tour and we can compare it to the ones in Costa Maya....all my planning is unraveling....yikes....:p

We went to the Altun Ha ruins in Belize 3 years ago and are going again this summer. We also booked with David and Ivan for the Chaccoben ruins in Costa Maya.

If you've been to Tulum, it is more impressive than Altun Ha, but we really enjoyed Altun Ha. It wasn't discovered until the 1950's and they are still excavating the ruins. I've read that Chaccoben is in a similar state. I find it more interesting to see many ruins that have been uncovered and then look around and see the hills covered with grass in the same area that you know also probably have ruins under them.

Hummmm, I hear Altun Ha wasn't that interesting, but in the interest of not allowing my bf to think I'm insane I don't think I can cancel that Belize tour AGAIN.....maybe I'll schedule the one in Costa Maya.....but will we have time for a stop at the village and beach if we do Dave and Ivans tour?:confused:

Archived