18 month-old to Alaska - bad idea?

TrinChick

We are considering taking our dd on an Alaskan cruise this spring. She will be about 18 months old. We took her on a Caribbean cruise when she was 10 months, and she did great. However, we are laid-back beach bums so we didn't mind a slower pace, and she could just spend the days hanging out on the beach, which totally worked for her.

Now, she's more active, and the Alaskan excursions are more organized and are obviously quite different from sitting on the beach. I know she's not old enough to appreciate a whale watch or such, but would she be engaged enough to not go nutty and drive us batty with her?

We are not likely to use any of the kids programs or babysitting services, even if she is old enough to participate.

I guess the question is can we all have a fun time on an Alaskan cruise or should we wait a couple of years?

Thanks in advance!

Lorna

We are considering taking our dd on an Alaskan cruise this spring. She will be about 18 months old. We took her on a Caribbean cruise when she was 10 months, and she did great. However, we are laid-back beach bums so we didn't mind a slower pace, and she could just spend the days hanging out on the beach, which totally worked for her.

Now, she's more active, and the Alaskan excursions are more organized and are obviously quite different from sitting on the beach. I know she's not old enough to appreciate a whale watch or such, but would she be engaged enough to not go nutty and drive us batty with her?

We are not likely to use any of the kids programs or babysitting services, even if she is old enough to participate.

I guess the question is can we all have a fun time on an Alaskan cruise or should we wait a couple of years?

Thanks in advance!

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

I've taken my son at 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 on Caribbean cruises and, although he sometimes drove me crazy during sea days, I always knew that coming up was a long easy day at the beach or on a catamaran. The port days are always so great. However, being in Alaska, you might not even get that break. You may spend alot of time chasing her around on the ship and in port. So, I guess I am saying that I probably wouldn't do it. However, you need to look at her personality and see if you think she can handle it. She may enjoy the scenery and the interaction with people on the tours. Or she may go crazy. Good luck with the decision.

Shellie

I'm sure some people have done it... but if I were you I would think twice. Unless you have extra people coming along who can help "babysit" so you can have breaks. Even then you will want to accept that you will be missing out on a lot of things. If you're ok with that then it wouldn't be a problem.

I've been over on the "Alaska" board a lot lately, planning for our summer cruise. There is just a ton of information over there. I'd recommend you take some time to look at all the options for the ports you will be visiting (not just relying on the ship's excursions) and maybe avoid the long tours. There are usually plenty of alternatives that do the same or similar things as the ship's excursions, but allow you to go at your own pace. For instance, in Juneau I've read that you can catch a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier for about $10. This would allow you to go as your time and your child's temperment permits, instead of being stuck in an organized tour. If you like the idea of the the Jewell Gardens tour offered through the ship in Skagway, know that garden has open admission for about $8 and their website will even tell you how to get there by bus (it's not far from the dock, anyway - Skagway itself is like 4 blocks wide!).

You know your child better than any of us do, so judge for yourself, but don't reject something out of hand before looking into all the alternatives. Happy cruising, wherever you go!

Thanks so much for all of your input. I visited the Alaska board, too, and am so impressed with the knowledge that everyone there offers!

I think we've decided to put off Alaska for a few years until she is more equipped to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. We are planning a trip to Seattle to visit friends this summer, and it was quite tempting to piggyback the trip with a cruise (since we'll be there anyway... always looking for an excuse to cruise!). But I guess I should just be satisfied with the trip to the Pacific Northwest.

Again, thanks for your honest opinions. We'll keep our cruising to the warm waters for the next couple of years!

Archived