St. John half-day Champagne Sail

Trail46

We did this excursion on our last cruise & I do recommend it. Was alot of fun. They served drinks plus snacks (crackers, cheese, fruit) and also soda. Was a very pretty ride heading out to St. John's and then the boat anchored about 50 yards from the shore where you could swim to the beach to relax & swim for about an hr. or so. If your not a good swimmer, take the fins from the snorkling gear, it will get you to the shore alot quicker. Very pretty beach, very deserted & quiet, kinda reminded me of the beach Tom Hanks was on in the movie Castaway.

If you decide to sign up for this excursion, you'll love it. We did.

You know, I wanted to sign up for this on my March 26 Constellation sailing, but I had a problem figuring out how you're supposed to swim to shore and take a towel, sunglasses, sunscreen to the beach. Seems weird to swim and have none of these.. huh? Unless they figure you don't take anything with you..which also would not be for me.

Hi,

We have done this excursion many times, and its just so beautiful and relaxing. Just make sure you have plenty of sun screen, and if you are at all prone to sea sickness....take something before you go. The beach we went to was lovely, and the water was not that cold. Be aware at least on the one we went on, you have to go below for the restroom. Its worth the splurge!

I was also concerned about swimming to the beach and being stuck there with no towel, glasses, etc. And one of the guys I'm traveling with doesn't swim, so not sure what to do. I do appreciate all the responses - thee's nothing like advice from someone who's done it!

I wouldn't worry about not being able to swim. There were probably about 20 of us on the excursion & maybe only 5 or 6 of us swam to the beach. Most just paddled near the sailboat or stayed onboard.

The majority of the excursion is sailing from St. Thomas to St. John's and back again the views are worth the trip. Plus the guide will point out famous homes along the way.

So if your a non-swimmer, its not that big of a deal. You would still enjoy the excursion.

Depending on the tides, I've been able to wade ashore with my belongings held above my head. I'm all of 5 ft 2. I did have them in a water-resistant carry all. Getting back to the boat was less of an issue except for getting back on the ladder steps. You have to time it with the swells.

Haf day doesn't leave all that much time on the beach. I've done the full day version. Sometimes the winds aren't quite cooperating so the auxiliary engine is used to make up time.

Archived