Galaxy and the Panama Canal

packedandready

Hi Everyone....We'll be on our way in just 5 weeks, 3 days and just a few hours (but who's counting?????):D .

We've only been on 2 cruises before and they were both on RCCL's Rhapsody and LOVED them. I've been doing alot of reading on these boards of both past and present threads to learn everything I can. Here are a few questions that I either haven't seen the answer to or I'm not clear on. PLEASE forgive me if they've been answered 100's of times, I must have missed it.

1. Our past cruises we've cruised with friends and had a table for 4. This time we'll be dining with strangers. Do we wait on our other tablemates before we order? It seems waiting would be the polite thing to do. Seems it would be a little awkward to be in the middle of our salads with others joining us. But, what if they never show up? Is there a proper "time" to wait?

2. I understand the Oasis is turned into more of a restaurant for dinner?? I've read conflicting posts about this. Some say there is an extra charge and others say only a tip pp is required. Reservations also required?? Also since it is changed from a buffet to a nicer setting are shorts appropriate? I'd like to have someplace for dinner that I could be very casual on nights that I want to be lazy.

3.We'd like to attempt to change to early dining. It's been suggested to go the the maitre'd as soon as we board. Anyone know where I might find them?

3. Celebrity's tip guide suggests tipping the asst. maitre'd. Is the asst. maitre'd the same as the headwaiter? What about the maitre'd? These names are confusing. ( You can see we are not fine diners)

4. Lobster is usually on one of the formal night (I think). Anyone know which one.

5. Someone also had a dress schedule listed and I've not been able to find it. It listed what night was which dress.

I know this is long but I thank everyone for there help. This is a great forum.:)

1. Our past cruises we've cruised with friends and had a table for 4. This time we'll be dining with strangers. Do we wait on our other tablemates before we order? It seems waiting would be the polite thing to do. Seems it would be a little awkward to be in the middle of our salads with others joining us. But, what if they never show up? Is there a proper "time" to wait?

your wait staff will not begin to take orders until all of the table is seated. they usually allow about 15 minutes, if the rest are not there by then, they will begin serving your table.

2. I understand the Oasis is turned into more of a restaurant for dinner?? I've read conflicting posts about this. Some say there is an extra charge and others say only a tip pp is required. Reservations also required?? Also since it is changed from a buffet to a nicer setting are shorts appropriate? I'd like to have someplace for dinner that I could be very casual on nights that I want to be lazy.

the Oasis does convert to casual dining in the evening, i believe they serve from like 6-9. there is a $2 per person charge, if you care to leave an additional tip you may. no, shorts are not appropriate, the dress code is more of a business casual.

3.We'd like to attempt to change to early dining. It's been suggested to go the the maitre'd as soon as we board. Anyone know where I might find them?

you may find them in the dining area, however they will for sure be there just prior to early seating.

3. Celebrity's tip guide suggests tipping the asst. maitre'd. Is the asst. maitre'd the same as the headwaiter? What about the maitre'd? These names are confusing. ( You can see we are not fine diners)

your cabin staff will provide information on this. you may tip anyone any amount over the recommended tip.

4. Lobster is usually on one of the formal night (I think). Anyone know which one.

served on the last formal night

5. Someone also had a dress schedule listed and I've not been able to find it. It listed what night was which dress.

these will be posted on your daily. you can figure the first sea day is the first formal and the last is like two nights prior to cruise end.

hope this helped

All of these questions were answered by other posters, but I just want to embellish a tiny bit:

If you want to change your seating time, you will be able to find the Asst. Maitre'd at the back of the Rendez-Vous Lounge on the port side on embarkation day. (This is very close to the reastaurant entrance). I had a similar problem, and this is where they set up shop mid-afternoon on sailing day. They are very nice, and I was accommodated quickly (went from early to late seating).

The ship's daily will have the dress code for EVERY night in the first edition on sailing day. Hang onto this -- they don't publish the entire schedule again for the duration of the cruise, just on a day-by-day basis.

Have a great trip! This was one of the best cruises I've ever taken. You'll love it!

Cheers,

For a complete review of the 1/9 - 1/21 sailing, here is the link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=286425

I understand that the bands we had have rotated off the ship ... thank goodness! Fusion is now the party band, and we had a great time with them on CONSTELLATION in November.

Lots of your concerns are addressed. Enjoy this wonderful cruise!

Cheers,

Thanks for the answers. One more question. Where on the ship is a good place for seeing the entry into the canal? And what time do we need to be there?

I was on the deck aft behind the Oasis and it seemed a good place to see it. Get there early to get a spot on the rail. Don't worry because later in the day when you go out of the Gatun Lake there will not be much interest on seeing the activities. You can have a good view almost anywhere.

We got back a week ago. Had a great time.

Early dining was packed--there was a sign up that said there could be no changes from late to early. We didn't care, since we prefer late dining anyhow.

Second the comment to watch from the aft deck. We came in early enough so couldn't see much until we were almost to the locks.

Archived