Caribbean storms

janey829

I just read in the news that there is major flooding in Haiti/Dominican Republic, and there are at least 160 dead. They said Haiti had over 500 homes washed away. Also said that San Juan experienced some major flooding on Monday, with 4 deaths there. High seas caused the sinking of a Guyanese-registered freighter off the north coast early Monday and there are more rains expected today.

Has anyone heard about any cruises being cancelled or diverted? This is not good....

Destiny 5/9/04

Victory 4/1/01

Haven't heard of any ships skipping San Juan. No ships have gone to Haiti since their civil war. RCCL is planning to start visiting Labadee again in a few weeks. It is rare but ships do sometimes change their itinerary due to storms and/or storm damage. [Why visit a port that is only concerned with rebuilding after a major storm]

Cruiselines do not steer their 500 million dollar ships into bad weather.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

That storm was caused by an upper level system that formed in the southwest Caribbean and moved northward through the Caribbean. It is now well north in the western Atlantic and will continue away from any land. This was not a tropical system and most of the weather with it was over land. You have to remember that Hispaniola is a very mountainous island and when you get heavy rain there,youo get major flooding. There is nothing in the tropics that will bother any cruises over the next few weeks.

Yes, as you probably guessed, I am a meteorologist

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freddie's Mama:

How does it look for June 19th Florida Diver? Why is it so rainy in St. Thomas and St. Maarten? I know you're not a psychic, just thought your experience would answer some questions. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

weather.com . Weather is a crap-shoot.

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

saintsinners.gif

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Just got back from the S. Caribbean.. slammed with yucky weather. Dominica was rainy, but that's normal there, Barbados was overcast and rain, days at sea were also overcast and rainy. Too bad.. I know it was a storm front that went through, but I would have loved to have more sun. It rained 5 out of the 7 days we were there. :/

Sara

Carnival Destiny - May 16th through May 23rd

Hooray!!! icon_biggrin.gif

It is always a tough call checking the tropics in the summer BUT early season is usually quiet. Starting in mid to late June the eaterly trade winds take over and so a quick late day shower is always possible. The easiest way to check on major areas of clouds or rain is to access the satellites. www.goes.noaa.gov will show you all the available satellite shots. You can check the caribbean and eastern Atlantic as well as the Gulf and Florida. If there are no big areas of clouds or tropical systems then you can figure on just the quick late shower. Hope this helps a bit!!

Sensation 8/7

Oh man I am glad I checked this thread the link to check out the weather was a good one. Thanks Florida Diver!! At least I know what sort of whether to expect from ckng it out..might not hold up but hey anything close is good for me!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

Legend November 19 2004

Archived