Video Arcade - extra cost?

YogiMia

We will be on NCL Jewel for first cruise ever. I heard there is an arcade (video?) on board, and I know my son (8 yrs.) would probably want to use it (maybe all day!).

Are the games and extra charge? Do I need to give him change for the games or are they included?

There is an extra charge for the arcade. I can't remember the exact cost but it is not cheap. I have heard several stories of children blowing through one hundred dollars or more quite quickly so be careful.

At least on RCCL, you can use your sea pass (on board charge) to get arcade tokens, and I've posted before about how it can add up to a huge bill very quickly, so be sure you set limits!

Here is an example of how quickly it can add up to hundreds of dollars:

If left unsupervised and with no preset limits (and we mostly all agree what a bad idea that is), it is ENTIRELY possible for TWO kids to spend $600 in an arcade in 6 or 7 days. And that's with only a few hours per day spent in the arcade, which is not unheard of at all. Do the math -- .50 to $1.00 per PERSON per GAME (typical, at least on RCCL), so could be $2.00 per two player game; 15 to 20 games an hour (some last 5 minutes or longer, but some will be done in as little as 1 minute) = $30 - $40 per hour x 3 hours per day = $90 - $100 per day x 6 days = $540 - $600 spent by 2 unsupervised kids spending just 3 (out of 24!) hours per day in the arcade.

At least on RCCL, you can use your sea pass (on board charge) to get arcade tokens, and I've posted before about how it can add up to a huge bill very quickly, so be sure you set limits!

Here is an example of how quickly it can add up to hundreds of dollars:

If left unsupervised and with no preset limits (and we mostly all agree what a bad idea that is), it is ENTIRELY possible for TWO kids to spend $600 in an arcade in 6 or 7 days. And that's with only a few hours per day spent in the arcade, which is not unheard of at all. Do the math -- .50 to $1.00 per PERSON per GAME (typical, at least on RCCL), so could be $2.00 per two player game; 15 to 20 games an hour (some last 5 minutes or longer, but some will be done in as little as 1 minute) = $30 - $40 per hour x 3 hours per day = $90 - $100 per day x 6 days = $540 - $600 spent by 2 unsupervised kids spending just 3 (out of 24!) hours per day in the arcade.

When we cruised on Mariner last year, there was a max (I believe $20) that a kid could charge to his seapass in the arcade. A parental approval was necessary to go over that limit.

Archived