Weight limits on charter flights- Antarctica

monikaabr

Hi @monikaabr

I am sorry I cannot answer your question and yet have questions for you.

We will not be sailing until later in February and not having been on the airlines I don't know their procedures.

I am been told we are only allowed 5 lbs for carry-on (unless I misheard - I am guessing they meant 5 kgs)! And I think 50 lbs for checked luggage. Is that the same as what you have received. I have been (somewhat patiently) waiting / hoping to receive some sort of information package on this from Atlas. Don't think I can wait 3 weeks prior as you have. (I do realize they are re-organizing but some stuff would not change from the sailings they have dome real such a a packing list) What did it contain? Anything on a suggested packing list, Well, probably does not matter as we have already bought (probably more) than we will need and have to cut back to make the luggage weight limit.

Which airline do they have you on,  Aerolineas Argentinas perhaps?

As i am sure you know this board is pretty quiet so any information or post cruise feedback would be MUCH appreciated.

People are reporting luggage for charter flights is standard 50lb checked, carry on and a personal item. Some have reported being overweight by a few pounds, but no one seemed to care.  The charter flights are all economy and not much overhead space.  The actual charter carrier is variable depending on sailing and may be different each direction.  All charters in EZE domestic terminal at BA.  Have seem some variance in times, Leaving BA as early as 10:00 am and as late as 2:30pm. On Ushuaia to BA, similar range of times. Note these times can certainly impact your flights in and out of BA.  I am going in two nights early in case I lose a travel day to weather issues. My American flight out of JFK would get into BA to late for the earlier charter departure. I also picked a very late flight on return, looks like some are adding extra night(s) on the return

As for clothing, less that you might think based on most comments. All the time on the ship is casual and comfortable, no dress up items. The boots provided for excursions will stay in the Mud Room, but you can take your Parka to your room in case you need heavier coat to get out on deck. On excursions, need thermal layers top and bottom, avoid cotton. Essential are waterproof pants and gloves, can get wet from spray on zodiac and may step into water getting ashore. 

I would recommend google searches for packing lists for travel to Antarctica and Antarctica excursions. Recommendations about packing apply across providers, even the most formal luxury lines skip the dress codes for these trips. 

• Like 1

I called Atlas today at 844-442-8527  (44ATLAS).  For Feb 15 Antarctic Circle:

Flybondi departs EZE domestic terminal C at 2:30 pm  on 2/15

Aerolinas Argentinas departs Ushuaia at 4:05 pm on 2/27

Personal item must fit under the seat. 

Carry-on weight limit is 16 lbs  Dimensions:  21 X 13 X 10

Checked bag weight limit is 50 lbs.

There does not appear to be a planned activity for departure day.  My brother and I are going to find a private transfer that will include a tour of some things around Ushuaia with drop off at the airport.

6 minutes ago, dml71913 said:

There does not appear to be a planned activity for departure day.  My brother and I are going to find a private transfer that will include a tour of some things around Ushuaia with drop off at the airport.

Thanks for the info. That's waht my papers said for the 1/26 WT sailing. Did you happen to ask if you can pay for more luggage?

Thanks,

Kevin

On 12/29/2022 at 9:09 AM, dml71913 said:

Great, thanks for the details and also to @kml246 for confirming they have the same in writing. I was told when I phoned Atlas the weight limit was 5 (lbs or kgs?) so both of you being told 16# and in writing is perfect.

We are on the same carriers but in reverse. So as @kayakcove wrote it is indeed variable. 

Interestingly the carry-on limits are different than on each of the airlines' website. I *assume* Atlas has simplified with one limit for both carriers and can do this as a charter.

As we will be returning with more clothes (the bulky parkas) we will bring a stuff sack for the flight from EZE to home as we are allowed an additional checked bag.

Just learned we will be arriving back in EZE even a little earlier than you @dml71913 and also would like to find a half day tour (with our luggage) as hanging out at the airport until our midnight flight is not too appealing. So far I have not found something suitable but will post back if I do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for pointing out that I'll need to keep in mind packing the parka for my return!

In case there's anyone else out there on the 2/27 cruise, we'll be Aerolineas Argentina to Ushaia, departing EZE at 11:40 and returning on a 10 am Fly Bondi flight.  I'm not used to charter flights and it feels a bit odd to head to an airport without a ticket or confirmation number 🙂

I LOVED being able to pre-customize the contents of my mini bar - MUCH ginger ale for this trip!

In case you have not seen this, here's a reading list about Antarctica you may want to check out:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/antarctica-book-reading-list/.  I've ordered a pamphlet-style guide for wildlife spotting from the ship.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1