Worried about dress code

ghisl

ghisl...how very fortunate you are to have your parents with you and that they are willing (and able) to join you on this vacation! I think what you describe sounds appropriate and I have no doubt that they will be treated kindly and graciously by the staff, et al. I wish you and your parents a wonderful trip and many lovely memories.

Out of the ordinary is so hard to find! I have yet to visit the South Pacific, Australia, the Seychelles and these are on my list but the long flights are off putting and the time I would need to fully explore those areas not presently available. I had hoped to explore the Baltics this year for my 50th birthday but circumstances do not permit so this will have to wat for another day.

I would rather be in Italy (followed by Germany and Austria) than anywhere in the world and that is always my first choice for any time off. Rapallo on the coast, the art and architecture (not to mention the food, the wine and the people) of Tuscany and the magnificence of Rome all continue to captivate me no matter how many times I am lucky enough to visit.

I have been to most states in the US (some many times haing travelled extensively for business over many years), three Canadian provinces, ten countries in Europe (much time spent in Italy, college and subsequent stays in Austria, in total about a dozen visits to that continent of varying lengths), China, Hong Kong, most islands in the Caribbean, Turkey.

105 cruises are over the course of 40 years and include business, guest lecturer gigs, and vacations. I cruise less for vacations these days as I am fond of traditional cruising and simply cannot find it any longer, at least not easily and at a price that is affordable.

My votes for out of the ordinary would be Barbuda (reached by skiff from a sailboat), Sicily, and the Salzkammergut area of Austria. For me, out of the ordinary means that my breath is truly taken away by the beauty of the place and all of these are quite spectacular and very appealing to me.

Although exploring new places still has appeal, I find myself these days more interested in spending time in places that I really love and learning more about them. Cruises really do not afford that opportunity, which is why I consider them a different kind of vacation.

CG

You've been very fortunate to have travelled so extensively. Wishing you much more happiness wherever your next port of call may be :)

Appropriate dress is simply what is comfortable and fits somewhat the situation. Even for "formal nights" and church dress will do fine. I do have a long black skirt, long black and somewhat shiny trousers and a sparckly blouse and jacket. I make that do for at 3 different outfits and will see me through as many formal nights as necearry. For the simply dressy nights, I weare dresses that work at church, mostly selected for matching colors so the shoes, hose, and accessories will work.

daytime wear is usually slacks or shorts. Very informal.

I I see someone whose clothes look a bit unusual for a cruise. I think that it must be their first cruise and They didn't know that comfort was the plan for the day. I also like to be comfortable in my formal clothes so purchase things that feel (1) big enough, (2) not too big, (3) comfortable, (4) easy to wear, Matches some of other things in wardrobe, brought along on trip.

Georgia

Archived