Art Auctions and Canadians

Allis154

I purchased a piece of art from the art auction on the QE2 in January. I declared it when I entered Canada, and it fell under my personal excemption. No duties or tax needed to be paid. It arrived mid February in good condition and was the one I purchased. Overall, quite happy.

Yesterday, I received an invoice from DHL, the courier that was used, for $20.75. "Sorry for the delay, but you now owe us $13.75 in taxes and a $7.00 brokerage fee for the art work shipped to you" Six weeks is a long time for yet another bill to show up.

I can apply to get the taxes back, but that $7.00 charge for 'brokerage' is extreme, at least to me, especially since I shouldn't have had to pay tax in the first place. Has anybody had any success in getting this reduced, or removed? Afterall, I have already paid the shipping fees.

Please, no lectures about the fee as opposed to the cost of the cruise, or rants about art auctions in gerneral.

Thanks.

Allis154

Archived