What can I take for motion sickness if...

Hello and congratulations on your pregnancy!!! I was shopping for my first cruise last night when I picked up Sea Bands. They are bands that you wear on the pressure points on your wrist. They cost $8 for 2 of them. On the back of the package it said that they can be used for seasickness and morning sickness. I thought that was great because I plan on getting pregnant this summer and I wouldn't be wasting my money.

I purchased them at my local grocery store but I do know they sell them in the pharmacy dept. at walmart.

Have fun on your cruise.

I've had many friends and students who used seabands for morning sickness...to the point that a couple of them wore them 24/7 and were afraid to take them off well into their pregnancies...certainly worth trying!!!

I, too, would check with your dr., but I swear by ginger. I finally convinced my husband of this on our last cruise (he ALWAYS gets seasick), he took the caplets on a daily basis and never felt sick...and no side effects (bonine made him tired, etc.)

Hope this helps & congratulations!

I bought the bands, ginger root caps and ginger snap cookies. I put the bands on before we left port, took the ginger root caps 2 times a day begining two days before we left, and had the ginger snap cookies, just in case. I never got sick. Someone else in our party did and I gave her some of the cookies, and the ginger root caps and she thanked me later for "saving her cruise". My cabin mate used the bands most of the trip and never got sick. Talk to your doctor first though. Have fun!:)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am 4mos. pregnant and about to set sail in 23 days, LOL! We go to the dr. on Monday and I will be confirming with her things that I can take for motion sickness as well as if there is anything that I should avoid eating, etc. I'd be happy to share what she says with you. :)

I've been reading the boards for awhile and another recommendation is the relief band (www.reliefband.com) As for general pregnancy nausea symptoms here are a couple of things that helped me.... Ginger Ale (sip slowly), Old Fashioned Ginger Snaps (taste gross IMO, but helped) and also sucking on Peppermint. Nausea can also come about when your stomach is empty so try to eat lots of small meals... even if it's just a cracker with peanut butter on it.... and this will help also. Words of wisdom from my midwife. ;)

Have fun on your cruise!

Angela

On a recent airing of the TV progam Mythbusters Bonine, Dramamine and Ginger tablets were all deemed quite effective for motion sickness. Wrist bands, on the other hand, didn't work. Nevertheless, the bands do seem to work for some people.

We prefer Ginger tablets. They have been very effective for us and we don't get the drowsiness, dry mouth or other side effects we have had from other medications.

I just checked the cautions on some of the labels and while they don't rule out taking the meds they all suggest you check with your physician.

Ginger tablets - The label advises consulting with your physician if you are pregnant or have gall stones.

Bonine - The label advise checking with your physician if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, have glaucoma, emphysema or chronic bronchitis, or trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate.

Dramamine - The label advise checking with your physician if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, have glaucoma, emphysema or chronic bronchitis, or trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate.

I'm 2 months along right now and have been chewing on ginger root to help with the morning sickness.

You're lucky! Most morning sickness doesnt start until the 5th or 6th week so you should be "safe' from that.

But you can always go to the store the night before you leave and pick up some ginger root. Be sure to pack a vegetable stripper for the skin. It will travel just fine in a baggie in your purse and then just store it in the fridge in your room.

Congrats on the new baby!

I have an inner ear problem and have had motion sickness most of my life.

We cruise quite often and yes, I get sea sick. I used to use the patch, but the side effects were aweful. I actually had to cut the patch in half in order get some relief without getting all drugged out!! And pills just made me sicker!!

We went with a group of friends on a cruise and one of the gals had something she found at Walmart.......Motion Eaze!! All you do is apply a drop of the oil behind your ear. I have now gone on TWO cruises without having to use the patch or get any signs of sea sickness!!

I copied this off one of the sites that sells Motion Eaze........

Motion Eaze is one of the most effective motion sickness treatments on the market today. Whether you want to prevent the occasional motion sickness or ease its symptoms after the fact, Motion Eaze does the job. The symptoms of motion sickness begin in the inner ear. When Motion Eaze oil is applied just behind the ear lobe, the oil is absorbed through the skin. The active ingredients travel to and calm the inner ear, in turn, calming symptoms of motion sickness. Motion Eaze is all natural and contains no drugs, artificial additives or stimulants of any kind. Motion Eaze contains a proprietary blend of the following, highly concentrated, herbal oils: Birch, Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Myrrh, Peppermint, and Ylang-Ylang.

Motion Eaze is formulated to provide fast relief from symptoms. After just one application, relief arrives in minutes, and lasts for hours. Motion Eaze has been known to provide relief from the symptoms of morning sickness, vertigo, and has even helped chemotherapy patients suffering from nausea. Interested in more details? Read about how Motion Eaze works to stop motion sickness and morning sickness.

Just to let you know........I am not employed by this company or do I own stock...... I just feel that this stuff works!!!

Then cruising is not going to make it worse LOL! Just make sure you are drinking enough water. That's a big one. Saltines helped too before I got out of bed in the morning. Oh and nap. Lots and lots of naps.

Archived