I Don't Like the New Screens

MrPete

I hate them! Funny thing is, is that the new ads on the right are now blocking the view of the ads paying on top to the right. I think I'm going to sign off for a day or 2 and see if any positive corrections are made. This is driving me crazy! :eek:

....just a suggestion, how about one ad in between every 5 posts...........?

anyone agree? disagree?

Disagree. I don't have any problem with them running ads to pay the bills and keep this fabulous and FREE site available for my use and I'd much rather have the side banners than have them between posts (been on message boards like that & it's totally annoying). Side banners are the industry standard so they are what I'm used to seeing and they don't bother me.

Now all the excessively lengthy signature lines? That's an eyesore I could do without!

Here's a thought........If anyone wants to pay CC what these advertisers are paying....I bet they'd take them down. ;)

You know, since we're the largest cruise message board in the world and haven't charged anyone anything to be a member..AND....we didn't want to start, there had to be another way and that's advertising....Where to put the ads?....Well, you can rest assured they are in the best place for the overall benefit for all...

You know you can close that side off if you'd like by pulling the edge over to the right edge of the post......if it really bothers anyone that bad....Personally, it's not a bother at all to me and like anything, we all get use to change.:)

Disagree. I don't have any problem with them running ads to pay the bills and keep this fabulous and FREE site available for my use and I'd much rather have the side banners than have them between posts (been on message boards like that & it's totally annoying). Side banners are the industry standard so they are what I'm used to seeing and they don't bother me.

Now all the excessively lengthy signature lines? That's an eyesore I could do without!

Thank you......looks like we posted the same time.:D

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. What ads???

CTMak

You must have some sort of ad blocker running. I would geuss that you screen is not as wide? Do you have white space to the right?

I agree with you there!!!

To those that said the right hand banners makes the post harder to read it is actually quite the oppposite. It makes them easier to read. Narrow, tall columns of text are easier to read than short wide columns. This is a proven fact, look at how newspapers are done for a prime example.

The web is a dynamic medium, meaning it can expand and be resized, there is only so much width. The natural flow of a web document is intended to be from top downward.

Uhhhh, maybe the three animated banners in your siganture?

I have signatures turned off and the site speed for me drop big time when they started the banners, so signatures weren't the problem. My guess is that they needed work out some of the bugs after setting them up. Everything seem find now. People just need to get use to the banners.

I have signatures turned off and the site speed for me drop big time when they started the banners, so signatures weren't the problem. My guess is that they needed work out some of the bugs after setting them up. Everything seem find now. People just need to get use to the banners.

They perhaps need a T3 line now... My pipe to the Internet is just fine.

To those that said the right hand banners makes the post harder to read it is actually quite the oppposite. It makes them easier to read. Narrow, tall columns of text are easier to read than short wide columns. This is a proven fact, look at how newspapers are done for a prime example.quote]

EXACTLY.......I was going to say that earlier but wanted someone else to notice it!:D

BTW....nobody has to see the signatures.....you can change that option. ;)

All though we have nearly 180,000 members.....there are well more than that that hit this site and never join.....It would blow you all away to know how big this was....I'm just glad i'm part of the greatest AND largest cruise board in the world!....AND....it's free! :D

Time is money. What part of my Internet rent (aka bill) do those ads pay for?

Not sure what your point was here, so if I flame you incorrectly, forgive me. That said:

Running a webserver isn't the same as running your home computer. Someone has to pay for hardware, software, internet access. Someone is spending their time maintaining the server, software. It not only cost cash it cost someone lots of time. Banners are what CC use to pay for this site to be up and running. Unless someone else want to take over, then complaining about the banners needs to stop.

Not sure what your point was here, so if I flame you incorrectly, forgive me. That said:

Running a webserver isn't the same as running your home computer. Someone has to pay for hardware, software, internet access. Someone is spending their time maintaining the server, software. It not only cost cash it cost someone lots of time. Banners are what CC use to pay for this site to be up and running. Unless someone else want to take over, then complaining about the banners needs to stop.

LOL>.....thank GOD some get it....It's like anything new and progressive........takes some a little time to catch on......THANKS!

Someone does. Many do. I'm done complaining about the ads. I just block them outright - well most of them. And the few that remain will be toast, too, if they become obnoxious enogh.

All though we have nearly 180,000 members.....there are well more than that that hit this site and never join.....It would blow you all away to know how big this was....I'm just glad i'm part of the greatest AND largest cruise board in the world!....AND....it's free! :D

Thanks for the great reminder Randy. I take back my complaint. :)

Diane

With The Signatures turned off, and the new format, I am finding this site much easier to read. The narrow column is absolutely "eye-friendly".

The ads certainly are not at all bothersome. They are not flashing, moving, jumping or waving as some of the signatures do.

Those are truly obnoxious. Wish I had known how to turn them off months ago.

Thanks to the kind poster who gave me the heads up regarding this feature. Wonderful!

It is difficult to understand how this small change could cause such negative remarks.

Every site on the internet has ads which support the cause. Why should CC be any different.:confused:

My pop-up blocker blocks the ads, so all I see is the white space on the right. Yesterday I hated it. Today, I'm already more used to it. Whatever helps keep the site free for all of us ~ we'll get used to it. :)

I can't say I like them either but I'm going to advance a theory here; if people only posted when they really had something significant to contribute (instead of, say, another unending, unnecessary topless deck thread or a 'doc dance') perhaps the server space required would be less and just might diminish the need for more advertising revenue.

I can't say I like them either but I'm going to advance a theory here; if people only posted when they really had something significant to contribute (instead of, say, another unending, unnecessary topless deck thread or a 'doc dance') perhaps the server space required would be less and just might diminish the need for more advertising revenue.

Actually no, adverstising is set by eyes viewing the screen. The more posts there are the more money is generated for CC.

So actually the topless deck threads are subsidizing everyone else. :p

Archived