Is it worth extra $$$ to upgrade from D1 balcony to JS??

Hi, everyone...I Just would like to say that I cannot afford either. Never the less, I am very interested with all the opinions and what people feel is essential to enjoy a cruise. However could you posters please clarify a few questions?...is this a 7 day cruise we are talking about? which is what I am assuming..and $2000 is the EXTRA. A balcony cabin is basically the same design as a JS, as many have said...being there are no separate rooms in a JS for the price. How much is the balcony cabin to begin with?? It must be a couple thousand as well, if the supplement is so much. That seems an enormous amount of money for a 7 day cruise. I keep seeing advertisements for Special deals..and the perception in the UK, is that the US fares are so much cheaper. I am from the Miami area originally...but lived here in england the past 25 years.

Based on the legend, which we cruised from here in the UK.. I can only afford a Large Ocean view cabin...as a balcony cabin ..which I assume is D1..Jumps 50/75% again. Depending on which price you check. It appears to have very little difference, as far as size to the large ocean view we had. Except for the balcony of course....which is a big change. So it would be worth considering if money were available. Still a big increase. In your case....you already have a spacious room with balcony. $2000..seems an awful lot extra... to gain just a bit more space...and a bigger closet. Especially for just 7 days onboard.

We sailed last year for 14 days to the Med..and had 6 bags..3 very large. 14 days is common here for vacation....we are not special...and obviously not well off. It seems a real bargain now..after reading this. but We felt we were paying a huge amount of money at around $4600. for the 2 of us for 2 weeks. The H category cabin was surprisingly spacious with lots of drawers..and shelves. A wall cabinet, shelf and undersink storage in the bathroom. The shower was a reasonable size..and I am not petite.There was only one closet...but thanks to a suggestion on CC message board....I brought along my own flat, thin, hangers.. and also some that hold 4 or 5 skirts or trousers. they Made all the difference...fit everything in a treat. All the formal wear etc. no problem. Plenty of storage for everything else. We loved the cabin and had a fabulous cruise.

What interested me about the prices discussed here, is that A debate just took place on another thread... regarding the Royal Suite on the Legend of the Seas. One passenger felt they didn't have the standard they had paid for. They said they paid $6000. for 3 of them. Husband, wife and child. I did ask if that was the total for all of them and it appeared it was. I explained that it was less than double per person of what we paid for a ..154 sq ft cabin...the same size as their balcony. For $6000. They had a double doored entrance.. bar area... grand piano in the lounge...a dining area... whirlpool 2 seater bath...5 sinks...granite tops...a separate bedroom...and a huge balcony etc. But the amounts you are talking about for just a JS.... must be near the $4000 mark. If so, it puzzles me how this compares... and why it is so expensive...and why this person felt they didn't get their moneys' worth..

Whatever cabin you choose, they are both fabulous..the balcony will be absolutely wonderful. Have a fantastic cruise...be sure to keep us up to date when you return. regards, carol

Cruiser Carol - we are from the UK too, but have found that the Med cruises are always a lot more expensive than the U.S. cruises and we can afford an awful lot more in the way of cabin size for the same money. Last year we booked with a U.S. on line agency and we got a really good price of a Suite on Holland America's Westerdam for 1 week for $1300 per person. Obviously the flights were on top of this. In January we're going on a Mexican Riveria cruise for 7 nights and have got an Owners Suite for $1700 each. So have a look at what the U.S. cruise agencies have to offer - you can get an inside for $500 or less if you shop around. The longer cruises do seem be quite a lot more expensive, even broken down to day rate. Unfortunately, Holland's prices for next year have shot through the roof and we're not able to sail with them again. For us a big cabin is the most important part of the cruise, as we spend the majority of the day in it.

Sorry to be off topic to the original Poster - I agree with most people though that $2000 is a lot extra to pay, particularly as it's your first cruise. The prices may well drop nearer your sail date anyway.

As everybody else says, you're on the ship - you'll have a great time wherever you sleep.

Sue Overend.....thanks so much for all your info. Sounds like you got some great deals. The owners suite will be amazing....and a fantastic price. Be sure to send back a review after your cruise. I have noticed a big increase in the prices this year for sailings out of the UK and Europe. The demand is certainly growing. I look forward to the Navigator of the seas coming to Southampton next year.... First thought it will be way over our budget...but now have had a re think. As there are double the amount of cabins of the Legend of the Seas it is replacing....there might actually be some reasonably priced cabins. I will check out some of the US companies as you suggest. We loved the Legend last year...and rebooked straight away for this year, in August. Something we had never intended...as we thought last years cruise would be it for a while. but It was just such a wonderful 14 days. We had to go again...and are taking our daughters this time. We were very lucky to be offered last years prices...and car parking at the port for 2 cars is included. Our TA is now charging several hundred pounds more for the very same H category. Once again Happy cruising.... and thanks for all your help! regards, Carol

Carol..........Sue was with us on the Westerdam last December. Another fun cruising couple. We also got a smoking deal on an S suite, about $1120. PP for the cruise!! We have not seen anything like it so far this year. Sue, you will enjoy the Owners Suite. That's what we take on RCCL, and gives us ample room to entertain. I don't like entertaining in the S suite on HAL as I feel like it's an oversized bedroom. Jeff and Mary had the best of all for entertaining with the extra large aft balcony, but it's hard to entertain out there while cruising the Baltic's!!

Rick

Rubbrick.....Hi Rick.....Gosh I knew you had a good life...but have to change that to a Fantastic Life!! How great to have been on Hal with sue last year as well. what Fun running into each other on CC. It is wonderful you have made so many friends... and unlike some, who are priviledged to cruise extensively....often in RS or OS... you are very genuine. Always positive and appreciative of all these wonderful ships have to offer. ... you give lots of help to others new to the game. Like I was last year...had no idea what CC or anything else was all about..or C & A ambassadors. I Learned a lot in 10 months...a good deal from yourself. Met a lot of nice people on these boards. Really enjoyed it as you can see by all my postings. It is always good to see your name..and enjoy your words of wisdom.

What a brilliant price you had on Hal.. for a suite!! With conversions...we are paying approx.$1250 a week per person this year. That is just an H category..on deck 3. Runi did suggest and get me near midship this time...although it wasn't a problem. I was 3024..a great location.. lifts directly to the windjammer entrance one way...and to the centrum the other direction on the other lift. plus 1 level of stairs to get off the ship..1 up to the dining room. I believe one poster in a RS said it was lonely at the top.....WELL IT WAS GREAT AT THE BOTTOM!!! lol. No complaints. This time we are in 3038...the last H cat. before it jumps to G...Midship large ocean view...which is another $100 each or so more. Also, When we transferred the booking to our TA...she was able to reduce that price again. Which is the cheapest price anywhere thru TAs' or RC...here that I have found. she has also included free parking at the port for 2 cars...worth about $350. for the 2 weeks. Even that TA is now asking over £200 (about $360) each more for the same category. Rc are much more than that. We would never have been able to afford it now..so it was a good thing we booked while still onboard. Our girls and boyfriends..are in an adjoing cabin 3032/3034. I can't believe we are half way to our sailing....the months have flown by.

I will miss Legend if she leaves the UK for good. But I am also excited by the Navigator coming...and I keep looking at all the photos of the different classes. to me the most important is still the light and brightness and the sea views. I loved the vision class as there were windows everywhere...always the sea. Some RC ships seem dark inside.. Is the Radiance class similiar to vision?

My DH doesn't think we will have another chance to cruise after this. We didn't think we would make it this year....let alone all 6 of us. The 2 girls and partners are all supported still by us as far as the home..food etc. So it is difficult financially. But they have helped me with so much in the house..decorating..furniture..etc. things kids usually don't do.. Also finances are starting to change as they all are going into permanent work now..as opposed to casual. They have always worked to earn money for themselves..since age 17. They are all 4 wonderful kids....really deserve this cruise...never had this sort of holiday before. they will really enjoy it. I can't wait to see their faces when they first see the ship. None of them have seen on a cruise ship their life. LOS will seem enormous to them...it did to me after so many years away...ships were 30,000 ton back then. They are beautiful girls and love to dress up but don't get the chance...it will be fantastic for them. The mountains of cookies in the windjammer at afternoon tea.. will be where I will find my little Michelle. she is so petite..looks the size of a 13 year old.. instead of 21.. both twins do...but she loves her cookies and desserts.. She will be in heaven!!

If the prices keep climbing... we will definitely be out of the picture. However, there are going to be short cruises..so that might be a possibility...also we will be looking for 1 cabin next time.. not 3. So there is some hope we may sail again in the future. In the meantime... I am savouring (Sp) every minute of these months...looking forward but in no rush..till August and our return to Legend. I have fantastic photos and video of last time..it really changed my life. Made a complete circle back to my beginnings sailing with RC/ Miami.... all my memories of life in florida back. 25 years since I left...seldom to return...a very long time. fondest regards, Carol

Archived