Tahitian Princess Q's

Hockeyshot

Hi everyone, new on this board.

We are looking into a 12-dayer in Aug. It's on the Tahitian Princess. We realize that this is much smaller than any of the other cruises we've been on (3 Princess, 1 Carnival, all Caribbean), but there are a few questions for anyone that has been on this Tahiti/Hawaii cruise. First and foremost, is there a dance club on this ship? All the other ones have had a disco/nightclub. We are a younger couple, 22 here and he's 27, so we were wondering about the activity. Any input would be great. Also what is the average age group for this cruise? Any suggestions for shore excursions (or rather what to visit) for the ports: Moorea, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, Hilo, Kauai, Maui?

Also, on our hotel choice in Papeete: Intrenational Beachcomber Tahiti Resort? We've reserved a bougalow over the water. Any input?

Thanks!

HockeyShot: Welcome to the CC boards. We are sailing on the Tahitian Princess in 2 weeks for a 10-day in the Cook Islands. It is a smaller ship than we are used to. We are staying at IC Tahiti pre-cruise -- many excellent recommendations on these boards.

For more info, you may want to search the Ports of Call -- Pacific Islands section. Plenty of info on the TP. Here is the link:

http://boards1.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Happy sailing!

Hi I have been on the Pacific Princess - identical ship. She is beautiful and even though small has everything you want. They have a good sized dance floor on the top floor - 10 I think. It doubles as a normal dance floor up until about 11pm and then they have a DJ and disco evening. mummsie

Welcome to CC. Believe me, if you look long enough, you can find the answer to just about every question here. Can't help with the dance floor, but when we cruised, the average age on the ship was about 55, unless you count the honeymooners,which, of course, you don't usually see anyhow. We went in January though, so that might make a difference in the average age - not too many kids out of school then. August is a good time because you are just coming out of their summer. It's a little cooler (!) and not as rainy as the winter months.

Excursions - while we were in Papeete, we took an circle island tour, which was interesting, but there is plenty to do just walking around downtown. We stayed at the Sheraton and Le Meridien(sp?). While the second one has bungalows over the water and was great for snorkling, we prefered the Sherton's pool and proximity to town.

Moorea - we just got off the ship and grabbed a taxi (van), which we split with two other pairs of shipmates (ended up being about $20 USD) a person, much cheaper than an excursion - and did a circle island tour. Make sure you keep an eye on the time though because the drivers don't always know when you need to be back on the ship. it will sail without you.

Raiatea - we did a drift snorkle on this, which we booked through the ship. It was fabulous and we had a blast. For more info, check out the ports of call - Pacific Islands. They list independent owner/ops for snorkling trips in the area that are reported to be very good.

Bora Bora - we took the manta ray dive...it was okay. Like the other better. Diving was still good though. It was just a lo-o-ong boat ride out to the rays and back.

Never been to Crhistmas Island, so I can't help with that.

Hilo - best thing to do is grab a car and drive up to Volcano National Park. Where else can you get that close to an active volcano? There is a self tour available at the entrance to the park, but I always suggest that people head to the Volcano Observatory and read up on the area before heading into the crater.

Maui - a trip up to Haleakala wouldn't set you amiss, although diving at Molokini can be nice (I was underwhelmed, esepcially if you do this after Tahiti). A bike trip down the volcano is fun, as is the Road to Hana, especially if you've taken motion sickness meds to combat the curves.

Kauai - we did a kayak trip up the Waimea River which was an absolute blast. If you were thinking about a helicopter trip, this would be the island I would pick simply because even if you go up to "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific" - it's still incredible to fly over it.

If you'd like any more info, email me at ckirby@deltacollege.edu and I'll se happy to answer any questions.

Happy Sails!

Charlie

We have visited Christmas Island many years ago on the same cruise from Hawaii to Papeete.

Since the port stop is so short, there really isn't much to do. Best bet is to visit one of the beaches, and wear very thick water shoes. There is a lot of broken glass (or at least was) all over the island.

They put on shows with the small children.

So, I would not even think there will be any excursions offered here.

Check out our CC Group Cruise website: Tahitian Princess.

Cruise Critic members have furnished documents and there are links to reviews. As you'll see, the information is about the Tahiti part of your cruise, including ports of call, menus, activities, etc.

Have a good cruise.

Archived