163 members have voted

1. 1. Which applies to you?

• I always buy travel insurance from the cruise line
    • I always buy travel insurance from a third party insurer
    • I never buy travel insurance
    • I only buy travel insurance if a family member or close friend is ill
    • I only buy travel insurance if I cruise to another hemisphere
    • I only buy travel insurance during high risk times of the year

Obviously, many of you have a lot better medical coverage than I do. As a retiree, my former employer's group coverage is worth less and less each year. Currently, my policy covers "out-of-network expenses" at 60%....after I pay a sizeable deductible. There is a cap on "out of pocket" expenses at $5,000, but that is after they determine whether the expenses are eligible.

I've never actually dug into my policy to see whether I am covered out of the country, but I've had enough problems trying to resolve payment for some of my legitimate local expenses to know that I don't want to deal with it. As far as I'm concerned paying $100-200 for insurance that will cover ALL my medical expenses....as well as cancellation insurance and travel insurance....is well worth it. I consider insurance a part of my cruise cost and never leave home without it. I've seen a few people evacuated by helicopter for medical reasons, and even if it never happens to me, the peace of mind is worth it.

I feel the same way about long term care insurance and don't carry it myself. Insurance experts and financial advisors recommend that if you have sufficient assets to provided for this contingency, you should self-insure and not carry this expensive coverage. Also, if you have few assets you don't need it either. I agree it depends on one's approach to risk. Some people feel they have to insure for every possible loss, others can accept the risk of major loss. With our sky high cost of hurricane coverage in Florida, I've even thought of going without that, but haven't taken that step yet even though I have about a $14,000 deductible. Whatever one feels comfortable with financially and how well it allows you to sleep at night. This approach has certainly saved me many tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

Bruce

Bruce, my husband and I, also, made the decision not to buy long term care insurance. Since my mother in law spent the last five years of her life in a nursing home, as a private pay, we are well aware of its cost. Even so, we have sufficient assets to provide for this contingency, and are willing to take that risk.

The supplemental plans I mentioned ARE private/medigap plans. The standardization of the lettering (C through J) is dictated by the government in order to standardize understanding of the benefits, but these are private plans.

There's something very, very wrong here. All companies offering C~J supplemental plans are expected to handle emergency services in foreign countries as part of those supplements.

I'm not sure which state you're in, but I'm very surprised that your local Blue Cross gave you a bum steer.

Thank you, CAnderson, for sharing your expertise on this topic. It appears that the person I spoke to at Blue Cross/Blue Shield is not as knowledgeable.

Check the fine print in your heath insurance policies from work. Many of those who will provide foreign coverage, will cover the medical at the NEAREST approved facility. They do not provide transportation to the hospital of your choice (more than likely in your home town) nor will they provide transportation home. They also do not provide assistance for spouse or significant other.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I agree it is very important that people check the fine print.

I did check my health insurance from work. Mine provides foreign coverage just like it does at home. If I need air evacuation while on a cruise, then yes I would expect that they would take me to the *nearest* approved facility. This is no different than in the US. If I have a terrible accident while skiing at Lake Tahoe, I would expect they would airlift me to the nearest approved facility.

My spouse is covered just as I am, we are on the same policy. If one of us should have a life threatening situation, and the other needs to pay for a hotel for a few nights, then we will pay for it. If we need to buy new plane tickets to get home, we can pay for it. A few thousand dollars isn't much when put in perspective that one of us had a life or death situation. If we can't take a commercial flight back home, and need special travel arrangements, then we are covered by our health insurance from work.

We are taking some risk when not buying cruise insurance, but I don't see that we are exposed to any catestrophic scenerios.

Archived