Silversea Moon and wheelchair cabin 409 review

JSR

IThis is part 2 A of a 3 part review

Part 1 - background and 5 nights pre- cruise in Reykjavik - link here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2908573-iceland-silver-moon-norwegian-fjords-and-the-qm2-transatlantic /#comment-64670449

Part 2B - Norwegian Fjords Ports of Call and tours With a wheelchair - link below after photos (scroll down) 

Part 3- Cunard Queen Mary 2 - 9 day Transatlantic 

Silversea Moon Cabin 409 (part 2 A) 

The cabin is the lowest category suite located on deck 4 behind the restuarants. There is no balcony but that was ok given the weather for most of the cruise. The cabin is spacious, and the bathroom is the most accessible I have ever had on a ship. The bathroom was fantastic. Large stable transfer bench with overhead shower head and handheld shower head, elongated toilet, bars, low mirror and fantastic drain. We discovered that getting to most places required either going through the dining room or SALT. SALT was used less and seemed easier so we did that the most often.

The ship itself was fairly accessible. There is no lift at the pool or hot tub. The carpet is plush making it hard to push on. I found going in and out of the grill/pool deck was impossible on my own as it required being able to roll up a ramp and open a heavy door and exit all at the same time. There were other doors to the outside that were not possible to open on my own as they were not automatic.  Accessible public restrooms were only available on certain decks. Given the size of the ship I generally went back to my cabin as it was easier than remembering where the accessible bathroom was located. The staff were helpful when I needed help.

The ship in general is pretty with muted colors. The observation lounge was wonderful for watching the scenery of the Fjords. People gathered there before dinner. Though we did not find people to be as social as on other cruises. In their defense this was the end of a grand tour so many people had already formed social groups. We did notice at dinner 95% of people ate two tops. The gym was small and there were no classes or trainers. I was told a trainer was coming in a couple of weeks. I had a blowout at the salon which was good, and the stylist was pleasant to talk with. 

The decks were nice and we laid out the one day the weather was nice. We walked around the decks a couple of times when the wind was not too bad. 

The restaurants were good. We ate in the main dining room most nights where the food was good though not very inspiring. La Dame was particularly good. The Arts Café was fun but small. The Grill was good and had heaters. Room service was also good. We went to the Asian restaurant twice for lunch and it was fine though bland. Our cabin attendant kept the room clean. She was stretched thin so did not offer any additional services besides cleaning and delivering room service. The entertainment was limited. There was a pianist who was very accomplished technically though lacked passion or soul. The guitarist was young and had a very limited repertoire, he showed potential. There was another guitarist and South American singer who were excellent. 

This was a very different experience for us from the larger ships we were on. It is a really desirable choice for us for highly port intensive cruises or specialty cruises. We are taking the Silver Endeavour to the Arctic this summer.  For us, for leisure cruises like the Caribbean we prefer a larger ship with more options.