Aft Balcony for Alaska?

How hard it is to get an aft balcony on an Alaska cruise (Radiance Class)?

If we book on the first day they open, will we have a good chance? Or do TA's grab them up and keep them a secret for their own customers? I work with a TA, and I am going to let her know what I want when the schedules come up - but really want to know what our chances are.... any ideas?

If you work with a TA and are somewhat flexible with your dates you should have no trouble at all. If you just want any aft you won't even have to be that flexible with the dates.

We snagged a corner aft JS last year and this year for Alaska cruises. Last year I booked 2 weeks after the itineraries were available and had to settle for a date 2 weeks earlier than I orginally wanted. While on that cruise we booked this year's cruise. This was 3 months after itineraries were released but still a year out. Again we had to settle for a date a couple of weeks earlier than planned. But that's because not only do I have to have aft it has to be a corner aft JS. Okay, so I'm really picky! :o :p

We were planning for late in the season both times. It might be more difficult to get something during the height of the season or early in the season. But I would think with TA connections and booking as soon as available you should have no problem.

Good luck! :)

Thanks!! That gives me hope. Ideally, I would love for us to sail in the middle of August due to my birthday - and being a bigger space between cruises to spread them out (time to save more $$$ for excursions.) But, I will definitely start talking to my TA so she knows what our preferences are. I think if there was any itinerary to work to get an aft balcony, Alaska would be it!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our Alaskan cruise aboard the Radiance LAST June--15 months before our Sept '06 departure. This was before the '06 schedules were even printed, but the TA called RCCL directly (while we sat at her desk), and they offered us a balcony cabin mid ship. We wanted that, rather than aft, so we were happy. I think RCCL holds the "better" cabins so they can offer upgrades closer to sailing times. We were upgraded last year by Norwegian Cruise Line to Hawaii to a balcony aft cabin just 3 weeks before sailing, and even our TA was surprised that it only cost us $200 more than we had paid for a window view cabin.

The bottom line is book early to get what you really want.

There is actually one available in the July23 sailing of the seranade...as of this morning...I always check for price drops..(yeah right)..and there was that one this morning...but only slept 2 per the RCI website...good luck

We're sailing the serenade on 5/28/06. Originally booked 7174 (D1 aft) back in October of last year. Final payment was due a couple of weeks ago. Kept checking a few days before and after to see if anything better would open up. It did! I got corner aft cabin 9256. So excited...cant wait!

Thanks - looking forward to 2007... which is why I wondered if I need to be on the phone with my TA on the first day that bookings open. I already have an email lined out to her exactly the plan we want to go with and which cabins. This is all assuming that the Serenade will be in the RT Vancouver slot again next summer. I wish it were May already and the schedules for 2007 would just release so I can get this over with and enjoy the rest of the planning. :)

BTW - I always check dailing for price drops too! I saved $400 total on the last price drop for our upcoming Carnival cruise!

You can also call RCI directly..thats what I do...always get a super cabin...

Great new about your caribbean cruise going down...unfourtinatly Alaska always seems to go up...our sailing has gone up over $500 pp for our D! since we booked...just glad they dont honor price increases!!;)

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. This one coming up is actually Mexico - can't get DH to fly for anything out of the East Coast. :( The price drop was a freak one day deal... they are now a couple hundred per person more than our original booking, so I was thankful that I looked each & every day and a TA that responds to emails quickly.

Definitley looking forward to booking Alaska. Will you be posting a review after your trip this summer?

BSBWife, you'll love 9256. Had it on the Jewel when she first started sailing in the Caribbean last year. Was wonderful having the larger balcony with 2 loungers and chairs. I also brought along with me the famous "roll-a-table" which I've posted about before. Since I live here it wasn't a hassle to carry it on board and with the warm weather we had breakfast delivered every a.m. and ate out there. Have a great time! I'm on the 5/20 sailing on the HAL Oosterdam also to Alaska and can't wait. Have one of the huge suite verandah corner aft cabins. If you've never sailed HAL in an aft cabin, check it out some day. Bon voyage!

Archived