altun Ha or plantation horseback?

Scorpiorose

Hi there.....I did read your review, in fact it was what got me thinking.....hum....but have you done the Altun Ha ruins river tour to compare it to? This will be our first trip there and I'm a little leary of going local, and eating local....should I be?:o

I'm on the Legend in two weeks. We're leaning towards Altun Ha. When I get back I will hopefully remember to post info. I went to a travel clinic and treated myself to the recommended Hepatitis A shot. The doctor stated the usual precautions when traveling into these areas. Stay away from ice, drink only bottled water and commercially bottled beverages (that are sealed). Cooked foods are okay to eat,and like any other unfamiliar restaurant, make sure meat is cooked thoroughly.

You don't need to worry about the food at Smugglers Run. We ate there about a week ago and had no problems at all. They served chicken that was cooked perfectly, rice and beans and coleslaw. They also served fresh squeezed limeade made with limes they grow on the plantation. My husband is very picky about eating food that strangers prepare and he had 3 helpings. There are ruins on the plantation as well, but we didn't see them when we went. Trevor and Cathy are very accomodating and they may be able to fit that into your horseback riding tour.

What sorts of things did we see? Hm m m. . .

It was like being in the rain forest - gorgeous vegetation, beautiful horses - sometimes so deep in the jungle I couldn't see the sky- so different from any place I had ever been - felt like a national geographic ad.

It was really fun - you won't be sorry if you go!

Archived