Timing of RAT and Viking transfer arrival in Sydney, AU

amtatom

My husband and I are doing our first ever Viking ocean cruise, the Viking Mars from Sydney to Auckland on February 21. We know we have to do our own COVID RAT test before boarding in Sydney and will bring the tests with us in carryons. Because of the dates/timing of the flights, we cannot take a photo of the test before we leave because the date will be more than 24 hours before embarkation. We also have Viking transfer from the airport. Does anyone have any idea if we should immediately get off the plane and find a quiet place to take the RAT test, wait the 15 minutes for results, take the photos, and then go through immigration and meet with Viking OR if we should do immigration/Viking first and there will be time to do it before we get to the cruise port?  Also, our flight is scheduled to arrive at 7 AM and we can’t embark until 11 AM so it seems there is time to kill. How does that gap work with Viking transfer? 

About the RAT before boarding, what do the pre-board instructions say in MVJ? Have you signed up for My Viking Journey? Where are you flying from? Accommodation will be made for the date/time change.

As to Viking transfer before 11:00 embarkation check-in, Viking will collect you and likely take you to a hotel conference room or other facility with coffee/tea/snacks before going to the port. There will be others waiting there from other flights too. Although you won’t have much time to wait because by the time you arrive, clear customs & wait for bags, it will be an hour or so.

Edited by LindaS272
Typo

Yes, we've signed up and completed everything on MVJ. It says nothing about the RAT test other than New South Wales requires one for all cruise pax embarking at one of their ports. We’re flying from Houston. Maybe the date allowance would be made, but I’d prefer to not have worry that our photos of the negative tests (🤞🏻) would be dated two days prior. Also, technically, that would be cutting it close to 24 hours anyway.

It seems like the expected downtime would be a good chance to do it. Thank you!

We boarded Mars in Sydney on 24 January and we did our RAT in the Viking tent area before boarding, it was very easy as I had the kits in my carryon. There was also another area for those who didn’t have their own tests but there was a cost of about $A40 I think. Don’t worry too much if you can’t do it before, Viking were well staffed and organised at Portside, 

7 minutes ago, amtatom said:

@Relaxing Rita Unrelated question, if you don’t mind: Do you remember if Viking offered a shuttle bus from White Bay to Circular Quay in Sydney?

7 minutes ago, amtatom said:

@Relaxing Rita Unrelated question, if you don’t mind: Do you remember if Viking offered a shuttle bus from White Bay to Circular Quay in Sydney?

We are on the same cruise, also interested if there is a shuttle from White Bay to Circular Quay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:56 PM, Fieldofdreams said:

We are on the same cruise, also interested if there is a shuttle from White Bay to Circular Quay.

The shuttle, when we were there went to a wharf in darling harbor - they said it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Circular Quay.  

Edited by SteelCity Cruiser
correction

4 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

The shuttle, when we were there went to a wharf in darling harbor - they said it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Circular Quay.  

Very much depends on where you are dropped in Darling Harbour, as the walk could be 30 minutes or more - still very doable. Options are Uber, ground transit or the ferry (way more fun). 🍺🥌

7 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Very much depends on where you are dropped in Darling Harbour, as the walk could be 30 minutes or more - still very doable. Options are Uber, ground transit or the ferry (way more fun). 🍺🥌

I looked up the location on the Viking Daily and the drop off was at Kings Wharf - that's 15-20 minutes to the Quay.  Public transportation in Sydney is really excellent as well; we used the subway in the city when we were doing our independent pre-trip there

• Like 1