confused about this darn sale they're having today...

So here's the deal, in a nutshell.

There are 4 of us going on 4/07 Triumph cruise. 2 in each 6A/B cabin. My husband and I are eligible for military rate, which has stayed within $20-$30 each place I've checked out, including Carnival direct, and allows us to pick our cabin at the same price as a GTY. The other cabin would be eligible for a "past guest discount", though I'm told these rates haven't been released yet, supposedly sometime within the next few months (and they'll credit her account). The rate for that cabin has varied a bit from one place to another, but not more than $50 pp and to me, being able to call Carnival and have my questions answered directly is worth that much. And can anyone help me out with an "average" amount of past guest discount on a 6A/B room?

So, we've been planning to book within the next week or two, irregardless of this sale. A PVP called me up and tried to explain to me what a "category upgrade" would mean to me. Since we're booking OV and wanting to pick our rooms, it seems to me, the way he explained it, we're paying the same price as we would to PICK our cabins, yet it's the same kind of "if an upgrade is available" clause as a GTY, where they can stick us wherever they want on the ship. I can see where people who book balconies may be getting a deal on the "possible upgrades", but considering we were booking 6B anyway, I don't see how much of an "upgrade" we could get???

so confused. and the PVP is supposed to be calling me back in an hour (so I could get my friends on the phone and decide what we wanted to do in the meantime). Is there anyway we could book and opt OUT of the "upgrade" BS and just pick our cabin today? The only reason I'm feeling a bit rushed is that I don't want the military rates to be gone because of the potentially high volume of sales they may be doing today.

does ANY of this make ANY sense whatsoever? ugh. my head is swimming with jumbled thoughts and my desk is a mess of a bazillion yellow post-its with numbers and names on them, LOL.

can ANYONE help me? I'd really appreciate it. :rolleyes:

This sale sounds similar to the "Residents special" I took for the Triumph (leaving Saturday :p)

Basically I got to pick whatever cabin in a category I wanted and pay the guarantee rate. So for all practical purposes, I got a balcony and an inside on the Empress deck for the cost of a BL and an IS (actually $50 off that).

So in your case you would book the 6B cabin you want but pay the OV price. You are right though, for someone who likes a balcony high on the ship, these sails are a really good deal.

Our cabin numbers are "hard wired" so there is no need to worry about being moved like a regular guarantee. It also means no upgrade to Balcony, Corner or Suite.

I don't know if a military rate could be bundled with this sale though. You would probably have to compare the two and decided which is the better deal.

Did this help or just make things worse.

This promotion is only upgrading you within the category you are paying for...so the upgrade in your case wouldn't be to a balcony...unless the price went down and they say they are upgrading you but in reality you are paying for it. These so called one day sales are just a ploy for new business...there really isn't anything special about them.

Exactly what I was going to say Don. Seems like Carnival has done away any cross category discounts so I'd guess no on the military rate and the free upgrade. Same for the past guest rate and the upgrade.

MamaP, like Don said see which pricing works best for you and just stick with it. You're right that on the Triumph you're only looking at the difference of one deck (don't let them talk you into any of the 6B cabins at the front of the ship - they are extremely small. Been there done that).

You might also check the balcony sale price and see how that compares.

Good luck.

This promotion is only upgrading you within the category you are paying for...so the upgrade in your case wouldn't be to a balcony...unless the price went down and they say they are upgrading you but in reality you are paying for it. These so called one day sales are just a ploy for new business...there really isn't anything special about them.
Depends on how you use them and what kind of "deal", if any, you were already getting.

If booking on a ship that has multiple categories in a certain group, like inside cabins on the Triumph or balcony cabins on the Conquest, you can get a fairly good deal.

Archived