Air with RCCL

Hi Cruisin' folks

My dw and I always take air with the cruise ships but I have heard since 9/11 the cruise ships do not look out for you as they once did, does anyone know if there is any validity in that story? I will be flying/sailing the first week of December, I need advice on whether to do my own air or do it with RCCL, I live near MD so snow is or isn't possible that time of year. Flying down the day before is not an option. Any advise from you pros?

Thanks. :rolleyes:

We always do our own air, with one exception, it has always been less expensive than booking air through the cruise line. I am not sure how well they take care of you these days, I have never had a problem that needed their attention.

Many years ago cruise line used to be cheaper than doing it on your own but that is not always the case anymore. It seems like round trips are cheaper doing it your self but open jaw many times are cheaper with the cruise line.

You also can pick better air schedules by doing it yourself.

Sometimes the cruise lines runs air specials......we got $199 r/t for a Hawaii cruise if you booked a balcony cabin.....too good to pass up!

The ship will NOT wait for you.......if you choose to fly the same day in the winter you take a risk......better buy insurance.

Our upcoming Alaska cruise is starting in Anchorage and ending in Vancouver....have been watching air prices since september and so far cannot beat RCI's air. You just have to always compare your options.

We used RCCL and finally got our times a couple of weeks before we left and they just would not have worked coming from the midwest in the winter. So we cancelled our air through them and booked our own. Even saved money despite the cancellation penalties. I will book my own from now on.

i am a first time cruiser, however, i did book my air thru RCCL. We leave on easter sunday and i couldnt find any flights lower that $700 pp. We are paying $400 pp thru RCCL. I think in the future i would find my own air, but this was a late booking and the time of year is hard to find deals....

we will use miles to book ourselves. But overseas, we let RCCL book us with transfers included which I learned $120 from London Gatwick to Harwich. We never have a terrorist cde on our tickets for 2 one way tickets, since it is RT via cruiseline. They get much cheaper rates internationally also, I believe they buy blocks of seats for their cruises.

So in May we are nonstop CLE-LGW, then bus to Harwich for our 2 week cruise, then back via DL to ATL then connection to CLE. Plewnty of time to sleep both ways.......

RRfalcon,

If you do air throught RCCL, they are aware of the flights they book you on and the ship WILL wait for passengers on those flights (up to a certain point) or will get you to the ship at their expense.

They WILL NOT wait for passengers who have done their own air.

As for you, I don't know which part of MD you are "near", but if you would routinely fly out of the DC/Metro area market, you will almost certainly save major $$ by booking your own air. We are very fortunate to have major competition between airlines at Dulles, Reagan-National, and BWI that keeps prices to the cruise ports down. Depending on your departure date, you have numerous options for flights same day that leave early in the morning (catering to the cruising crowds).

Dulles- JetBlue, TED, UsAirwys, United, American, Air Tran

National- Spirit, Air Tran, Us Airways, American

BWI- Southwest

Jetblue, Spirit, TED, and Southwest almost always have a flight both Saturday and Sunday mornings departing about 0730 for Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

The last time I paid more than $200pp for roundtrip to anywhere in Florida, was the last time we did air through RCCL. I did this only because I set up a group cruise and we did it in the interest of keeping everyone together. Hindsite is 20/20. Knowing now the headaches of being a group leader, I would much rather have coordinated the cruise only and told everyone else they were on their own for airfare. I can't tell you the # of times I heard about better airfares. ;)

Jay

Atl-Yvr Sept. Anyone ever get good flights thru RCL? Right now they are the least expensive plus theirs incl transfers. I've been trying for last 4 days to see how much extra the Custom Air will be [above the $50 pp] just to be sure our friends can travel w/us to Atl airport & fly to Vancouver together. Not so worried about red eyes as traveling together! Have read sometimes even families are split up. Posted this several times but no response to date.

Archived