Skagway/Yukon Tours- how often do the buses stop?

FSULB

While I'd love to do Yukon's route, my husband and I tend to get lost VERY easily, so I think we need to go with a charter. I'm stuck between Chilkoot and Frontier Excursions for the Yukon Discovery tour.

With Chilkoot, we'd probably do the rail/bus, and I think Frontier only has bus. When you're on those buses, how often do they stop? I want to enjoy the scenery, not just see it whiz by through a window. (not to mention that we just got a fantastic camera and intend to use it to its fullest!)

We rented a car and did the drive ourselves two years ago. We had a wonderful day. This time we'll have Murray's mile by mile guide so we won't miss anything. I don't see how you could get lost - you are on the same road the whole way up and back. All we're concerned about now is the weather in May - just hope it's warm and sunny as I've read it can be that time of year.

FSLB, to answer your question, the buses stop a lot on that route - most of them probably 8-10 times.

Bucky3 - May can be the hottest month of the year, and Carcross/Whitehorse is often the hottest spot in Canada some days. I'm on 2 cruises in May (on the May 27 Radiance with Cathy, the May 19 Vision with my Dad), so I'm hoping that this is one of those years!

Murray

>>Anything we'd miss by not having that train ride? <<

Railfans (a group that includes me) consider it to be one of the top 10 train rides on earth, so if trains hold any interest for you, I highly recommend it. Riding alongside the clearly-visible trail used during the Klondike Gold Rush is an experience that's hard to describe (and it can't be seen from the road).

Murray

Thanks very much- my mind is now made up (for one of three ports)!

I've seen a lot of your other posts, and it is very helpful to have a local give such insightful information. I know a lot of us appreciate it!

Me included! Thanks, again, Murray. You have two wonderful cruises ahead - we've cruised Alaska on Radiance and Caribbean on Rhapsody of the Seas, sister to Vision. Loved both those ships. Both ships have great viewing areas inside and outside. Guess we won't be running into you at Carcross on May 20th! Darn! Lucky people on your trips with you to guide them! Enjoy!

Archived