Carry-On Luggage

Is it 11" wide X 17" high? Just want to be sure.

Thanks

This is what I found. My carry on is 20" high. Now you can get a bigger bag and pack more!!!:D

Note that when maximum size measurements are shown as a total number of inches (eg 45") this is the total of the length, width and height of the piece. There are standard sets of dimensions that go to make up these totals (for example, 22 x 14 x 9 is the standard for 45") and if you have a bag that is an unusual shape but still within the total number of inches, you may find it being rejected.

If you read the Carnival FAQs under security, they have different measurement limits, but I don't know if you'd want to count on them:

X-Ray Security Machines for security purposes, carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similarto those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

When I was browsing thru Carnival website the other day I came across the 24 x 16 on 1 page but all others say 11 x 17. Would really like to find out for sure if they have changed to allow a larger size. Anyone going soon, please check and come back to let us know. We could call, but we all know we may get different answers from different people.

Is it 11" wide X 17" high? Just want to be sure.

Thanks

No, Its 11 Inches Deep and 17 inches Wide, Not High, The length is no factor here. If you are going to bring one, make sure you take a Key Chain Measuring tape with you. They will tell you from just looking at it that its too big, You can then pull out the tape measure and show them.

No, Its 11 Inches Deep and 17 inches Wide, Not High, The length is no factor here. If you are going to bring one, make sure you take a Key Chain Measuring tape with you. They will tell you from just looking at it that its too big, You can then pull out the tape measure and show them.

baggage_info.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifIn some ports you may carry on your luggage if it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. Please check upon arrival at the terminal. Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on baggage.

We highly recommend that guests personally carry any valuables, medication, breakable items and boarding documentation

This was taken from the Things to know page, travel documentation. Wonder which is correct? 24x16 or 11x 17?

Carnival Carry-on Restrictions: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter. Once on the ship, the luggage will be delivered to the guests' stateroom by 7:00pm that night.

I know, I know, I know. 11 x 17....It says that in probably 3 different places. But...., it also has the 24 x 16 on that other page. Why the conflicting information? All of this is coming from the Carnival website. Kind of like the amount of wine that can be carried on. Some say 1 bottle, 2 bottles or unlimited. Never know till you try. But, who wants to try with their carryon and have to check it? Maybe someone cruising soon will find out and let us know.

I think thats a typo because here is a picture and description of a 24x16, its pretty big and wouldnt fit in the Xray Machine, I think what they meant that in some ports you can Roll your Luggage onboard.

But then I found this:

X-Ray Security Machines for security purposes, carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similarto those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

This 24x16 would no way in heck fit in one of them xray machines, Unless the are replacing the old ones with the new improved Nuclear detecting M-5000 Xray machine.:confused:

http://www.surrayluggage.com/crexrosu24by.html

I will email them now about this.

Fred

Cotton, Fred,

I was going with the 11" x 17" also then got to looking at my Boarding Pass Documents and there it was 16" x 24"?? Very confusing. It was in the 'Welcome Aboard' brochure, Page 13, para. 2 under Baggage Assistance.:confused:

:D Count - All I know if that it's always been 11x17. That is width and height. Oh my, I seem to be echoing myself.

It doesn't matter which is 11" and which is 17" (width OR height) because the piece of luggage can be turned either way to go through the x-ray machine. Maybe this would help understand the dimensions:

Lay your suitcase flat on a table, the opening facing you.

Measure from the top of the table to the top of the suitcase. That's height.

Measure from the front edge to the back edge of the suitcase. That's width.

The other measurement would be the length - and it doesn't even matter. It's only width and height that matters - to go into the x-ray opening.

• 1 month later...

Im confused as well, here is my predicament.

We are getting married, we are allowed to bring:

"Please be sure to pack all necessary items you will need for your wedding, in one seperate carry on suitcase (No larger than 11"x17" shoes, make-up, party favors etc.) Garment bag for dress & suit

In our documents it says:

"In some ports you may carry on your luggage if it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h."

Their website says:

"For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter."

My garment bag is 23" wide.

Archived